Ontario Storms Site!  

Go Back   Ontario Storms Site! > Ontario Storms Forums > The Truck Stop: Storm Talk & Chit-Chat

The Truck Stop: Storm Talk & Chit-Chat General talk on past, current, and future storms - all talk about UPCOMING storms goes here

Old 07-19-2011, 04:51 PM

Default Understanding July 19th

Hey guys,

So I was looking at SPC's mesoscale maps and what I saw looked like there should have been storms in the London, Kitchener, Cambridge, Guelph area today. Here were the numbers

SBCape - 2000
MLCape - 1500
Lifted Index - -5
CIN - 0
LCL - 1000ft
LFC - 1000ft
effective windshear - 35kts
moisture convergence - 10-15

can anyone tell me why these where no storms popping up? I'm trying to understand relationship between the information and what actually takes place, so if someone could help me there that would be great.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:02 PM

Default Re: Understanding July 19th

Ahh but there are.. You have to look for areas of lift and on days like today it would be lake breeze and if you see the lake breeze areas today are in between lake erie and ontario and to the SW near london and also SW of barrie. Storms could pop up along lake breeze storms until the daytime heating is gone
Old 07-19-2011, 09:05 PM

Default Re: Understanding July 19th

Thunderstorms could have popped up anywhere along the line of the lake breeze. Wind was pushing off the lakes northward from lake Ontario and lake Erie, and a strong northwesterly wind came from the direction of lake Michigan. The energy is in the atmosphere but you need a lifting mechanism, in this case it was the points of strongest convergence. You can't really tell on a meso analysis but if you pay attention to the satellite loop you can watch where the winds are pushing the clouds.
http://minnesota.publicradio.org/col...mb-500x213.png

You can clearly see where the storms will form anywhere on that line, just a matter of gathering enough information (in this case watching a satellite loop) to find the strongest points of convergence.