Ontario Storms Site!  

Go Back   Ontario Storms Site! > Ontario Storms Forums > The Truck Stop: Storm Talk & Chit-Chat

The Truck Stop: Storm Talk & Chit-Chat General talk on past, current, and future storms - all talk about UPCOMING storms goes here

Old 08-27-2011, 03:33 AM

Default Re: August 24 -SW ON

based on that I missed the tube by about 10 minutes, this video is around 8 PM facing nairn on 14 mile road .....Oh well good guess without radar and being at work surrounded by grey mushy clouds.... Storm chasing can be rather frustrating hehe

Now I wasn't going to share this video because I thought I was being dumb but on the drive up I thought I saw a power fllash in the hazy core and was filming hoping to see another....This was facing Nairn around the time of the tornado

Silly useless video but kind of funny if I saw a power flash caused by the touchdown....This video was about 15 min before the top one.....just makes me wonder, haha I was so sure during the video it was a powerflash too

The Following User Says Thank You to Itchy For This Useful Post:
DarkSky (08-27-2011)
Old 08-27-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davefootball123 View Post
Here are the first few so far. Will do more tonight. If anyone wants other areas let me know. Looking at the data I was hit by some pretty strong winds and probable rotation associated along the line. Also note the rotation where the tornado touched down in western sections of hamilton
Actually, yeah. If you could around the time I shot the video. It was at about 7:35PM between Harriston and Wingham, (Just a bit North of Fordwich/Gorrie area)

I didn't have any radar when I went out, just took the random thought to hit south. Hit Harriston and made a left towards Wingham when I heard it went tornado warned in the Wingham/Blyth area.
Old 08-27-2011, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Strike- View Post
Actually, yeah. If you could around the time I shot the video. It was at about 7:35PM between Harriston and Wingham, (Just a bit North of Fordwich/Gorrie area)

I didn't have any radar when I went out, just took the random thought to hit south. Hit Harriston and made a left towards Wingham when I heard it went tornado warned in the Wingham/Blyth area.
Hey, Im not 100% positive I can get a doppler image of that storm due to the fact it is very far north from the KBUF site, however I will try my best
The Following User Says Thank You to davefootball123 For This Useful Post:
-Strike- (08-27-2011)
Old 08-27-2011, 04:09 PM

Give it a try, if not that's alright. I think we need some better radar coverage in SOO. Maybe the bank will finance me a doppler for my back yard? Hah.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Strike- View Post
Give it a try, if not that's alright. I think we need some better radar coverage in SOO. Maybe the bank will finance me a doppler for my back yard? Hah.
Here you go, This is 733PM Reflectivity and Doppler
Attached Thumbnails
Name: August 733PM Radar.jpg    
Views: 457    
Size: 257.5 KB    
ID: 5475      Name: August 24th 733 PM Velocity.jpg    
Views: 460    
Size: 215.5 KB    
ID: 5476     
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to davefootball123 For This Useful Post:
-Strike- (08-27-2011), DarkSky (08-27-2011)
Old 08-27-2011, 05:32 PM

Thanks Dave, Much appreciated. Nice to be able to see what was there and coming when I was in the area, which appears to almost be nothing at that time. lol
Old 08-28-2011, 09:16 AM

Default August 24/11 Nairn Video and some pics of the storm

This video is by someone who was on Nairn Road just west of Ilderton at 8PM...... based on Reports this video is minutes after the tornado.....

Possible funnel on right side of video

To give an Idea of how dark it was under the storm here is my video 5 minutes after that one further east along the line and under it looking west towards the area being filmed above

The rotation in the base at the center of this image was tornadic still for sure, the rotation was crazy!
by scrolling through the cell phone vid it is very obvious even with that terrible quality

This is about 10 minutes after the top video, I dove south to get a view of the cell and it looked to be lining out at that point and it's when it lines out I think that the cell near Hamilton really took off.

Lightning was so frequent just by taking a few images in a raw you were guaranteed a bolt.... an exposure at 15 seconds would of had multiple cg's in one shot it's around 8:15PM here

I wonder sometimes if the Nairn tornado was perhaps the style where you can't see the tube just a nubby lowering at cloud base and debris cloud on the ground.... that would be a good reason no one really saw the actual thing unless I'm mistaken and there is an eyewitness account etc...

This was shot west of Nairn at 805PM, several minutes later as she drove down the road she drove by the campsight with the damage, my sister has told me about a friend with a destroyed barn near the area as well....This shows off the mean green core it had but my bad cell phone couldn't get

Sarnia

Last edited by Itchy; 08-28-2011 at 04:25 PM. Reason: video added
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Itchy For This Useful Post:
-Strike- (08-28-2011), DarkSky (08-28-2011), Smokin Joe (08-28-2011), videodrome84 (08-28-2011)
Old 08-28-2011, 12:10 PM

Progression of the severe weather outbreak through my Facebook:

Mike XXX
‎** TORNADO WATCH has been issued for the following counties **
ESSEX... KENT... LAMBTON... MIDDLESEX... ELGIN... WATERLOO... WELLINGTON... MIDDLESEX... HURON... PERTH... DUFFERIN... SIMCOE... GREY.... BRUCE... MUSKOKA... PARRY SOUND...
LikeUnlike August 24 at 11:12am

Mike XXX
‎** TORNADO WATCH for the following counties:
ESSEX... KENT... LAMBTON... MIDDLESEX... ELGIN... WATERLOO... WELLINGTON... HURON... PERTH... DUFFERIN... SIMCOE... GREY.... BRUCE... MUSKOKA... PARRY SOUND... MANITOULIN... NIPISSING... SUDBURY... GREATER SUDBURY... TIMISKAMING...
LikeUnlike August 24 at 12:00pm

Mike XXX
‎** TORNADO WATCH in effect for:
All of Southwestern Ontario
All of Southeastern Ontario
All of Central Ontario
All of the Greater Toronto Area/Golden Horseshoe
All of Cottage Country
LikeUnlike August 24 at 3:37pm

Mike XXX
‎*** Tornado Warnings in effect across southern Ontario. Monitor Environment Canada: http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/warnings/son_e.html
LikeUnlike August 24 at 6:30pm

Mike XXX
‎** Severe Thunderstorm Warning for Waterloo Region. Tornado outbreak in progress across southern Ontario. This is a very dangerous situation. Continue to monitor Environment Canada: http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/warnings/son_e.html
www.weatheroffice.gc.ca
LikeUnlike Share August 24 at 7:17pm

Mike XXX
Very dangerous tornado outbreak in progress across southern Ontario. Continue to monitor Environment Canada for the latest tornado warnings: http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/warnings/son_e.html
LikeUnlike Share August 24 at 7:49pm

Mike XXX
Very dangerous tornado outbreak in progress over southern Ontario. Multiple tornadoes in progress. Watch CP24 or The Weather Network. Monitor Environment Canada for the latest for the latest tornado warnings. http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/warnings/son_e.html
LikeUnlike Share August 24 at 8:19pm

Mike XXX
A very dangerous thunderstorm is moving into Kitchener-Waterloo. Considering moving to a basement or small interior room on the lowest floor away from windows. A tornado warning may be issued.
LikeUnlike August 24 at 8:20pm

Mike XXX
Reports indicate a tornado hit Parkhill, Middlesex County. People may be trapped in collapsed homes.
LikeUnlike August 24 at 8:38pm

Mike XXX
‎** TORNADO WARNING FOR WATERLOO REGION. IMMEDIATELY SEEK SHELTER IN A BASEMENT OR SMALL INTERIOR ROOM ON THE LOWEST FLOOR AWAY FROM WINDOWS ***
LikeUnlike August 24 at 8:56pm

Mike XXX
‎** A TORNADO IS IN WATERLOO REGION -- MOVE TO A BASEMENT NOW!!! **
LikeUnlike August 24 at 8:58pm

Mike XXX
FOR REAL MOVE TO A BASEMENT RIGHT NOW IF YOU'RE IN WATERLOO REGION THERE IS A TORNADO!
LikeUnlike August 24 at 8:59pm

Mike XXX
The tornado moving towards nothern city of Hamilton if anyone even has power right now and can read htis tornado threat is ending for KW.
LikeUnlike August 24 at 9:16pm

Mike XXX
Tornado Warnings extended to Lake Erie and into the Greater Toronto Area including Mississuaga, Hamilton, Milton, and Burlington.
LikeUnlike August 24 at 9:30pm
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Derecho For This Useful Post:
DarkSky (08-28-2011), Itchy (08-28-2011), Stormydude (08-28-2011)
Old 08-29-2011, 10:11 AM

Shot by Ben Fuller

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Itchy For This Useful Post:
DarkSky (08-29-2011), Stormydude (08-29-2011)
Old 08-29-2011, 10:15 AM

Yeah I was gonna post that! Nice timelapse!