Ontario Storms Site!  

Go Back   Ontario Storms Site! > Ontario Storms Forums > The Truck Stop: Storm Talk & Chit-Chat

The Truck Stop: Storm Talk & Chit-Chat General talk on past, current, and future storms - all talk about UPCOMING storms goes here

Old 09-30-2011, 06:20 AM

Default la nina

Is this what we have to look forward to???

La Niņa Is Back: Another Wild Winter on the Way?
Posted: 9/12/11 01:32 PM ET

La Niņa is officially back, according to NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration), and since La Niņa contributed to a very wild 2010-2011 winter across the U.S. and Europe, a natural meteorological question is whether the same thing will happen this winter.

The weather, much to a meteorologist's chagrin, is not as simple as "We're having a La Niņa again this year, so get ready for the same weather as last year." There would be many fewer snide comments about the weatherman always being wrong if forecasting the weather were that simple!

First, the seasonal weather is influenced by more than whether there is an El Niņo, La Niņa, or neither one, and even when one of them is occurring, its intensity makes a difference to the overall weather pattern.

Last year's La Niņa was fairly strong and combined with a repeating negative phase of the Arctic Oscillation to result in widespread outbreaks of bitter cold and frequent snow storms, both across the United States and Europe.

It was a winter that will be remembered for generations for millions of people, with record-breaking snowfall and cold.

The ultimate intensity of the current La Niņa is not yet known even though Climate Prediction Center experts expect that it will strengthen some from its current weak state and continue into the Northern Hemisphere winter.

Again, that strength is critical to the details of the forecast, as is whether the Arctic Oscillation will have repeated negative phases during this upcoming winter, which it has for the past two winters. Those particulars have yet to be determined, and the official NOAA winter forecast will not be released until the middle of October.

However, we know from last winter how intense the potential extremes could be, and we also know a few generalities about a pattern that is influenced by La Niņa. Those were noted in the NOAA release.

One highlighted piece of information is very bad news for the drought-stricken regions of Oklahoma, Texas, and New Mexico since NOAA believes that La Niņa will contribute to a continuation of this drought. Much of this region is experiencing an exceptional drought (the worst category), which began last winter and has intensified during the spring and summer. Parts of western Texas have had less than an inch of rain so far in 2011.

Other general influences of a La Niņa include colder-than-normal weather in the Pacific Northwest and northern Plains, along with warmer-than-normal conditions in the Deep South. Last winter, despite the La Niņa, the South experienced widespread record cold.

A La Niņa is a cooling of sea-surface temperatures in the tropical regions of the Pacific Ocean, and a change in water temperatures in the largest ocean in the world have significant effects on global weather patterns, especially when the La Niņa is strong. A La Niņa tends to have an overall cooling effect on global temperatures.

An El Niņo, on the other hand, is a warming of sea-surface temperatures in the same region of the Pacific. It also has a widespread influence on global weather patterns, especially when it is intense, and tends to have an overall warming effect on global temperatures.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to obwan For This Useful Post:
DarkSky (09-30-2011), Stormydude (10-01-2011), videodrome84 (09-30-2011)
Old 10-01-2011, 05:57 AM

Default Re: la nina

OMG another one just like last year noo well i better get readey for it... umm i think me might get one of thoese super snow squlls again i got like 98 cm of snow
Old 10-01-2011, 11:04 AM
Derecho
This message has been deleted by DarkSky. Reason: No disrespecting other members. First/last warning.
Old 10-01-2011, 05:41 PM
stormy kid
This message has been deleted by DarkSky.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:18 PM
Derecho
This message has been deleted by DarkSky. Reason: No disrespecting other members. First/last warning.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:49 PM
Storm Chaser
Old 10-02-2011, 10:27 AM
stormy kid
Old 10-02-2011, 10:27 AM
Derecho
This message has been deleted by DarkSky. Reason: Please quit the bickering. Lets talk about the weather, not each other.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:52 AM
Storm Chaser
This message has been deleted by DarkSky. Reason: Please quit the bickering. Lets talk about the weather, not each other.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:42 AM

Wow.. seasons over and it shows.. 7 deleted posts...

To be honest.. I dont mind a winter like last year. Hell.. In ottawa... when I was a kid back in the late 80's.. getting 3 feet of snow in a weekend was common... Last winter actually looked like a real Canadian Winter. Giving the fact that I do alot of whitewater kayaking... the more snow we get... the more water in our rivers come spring time..Thats if we get normal winter temperatures... other wise..there is no "Melt" and we get ****ty flows...Last spring had EPIC flows all over Quebec..Im pretty stoked to get the same thing again this year!
Old 10-03-2011, 09:07 AM

Last winter, Moncton, NB (my old haunt), got buried in snow! I was never so happy to have moved to SE Ontario. I do love a good snowstorm...from inside my house!
Old 10-03-2011, 12:11 PM
Administrator

^^ Yes I can't deny loving a good blizzard when I'm inside with the fire going and a nice big mug of coffee.

Last winter was *much* colder than others from what I can remember. Hopefully this year we'll get back to the usual mild winters that we have.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:51 PM

I wouldn't mind last winter again, but this time without it all melting just before every storm so it can stack this time...