Ontario Storms Site!  

Go Back   Ontario Storms Site! > Ontario Storms Forums > The Truck Stop: Storm Talk & Chit-Chat

The Truck Stop: Storm Talk & Chit-Chat General talk on past, current, and future storms - all talk about UPCOMING storms goes here

Old 09-09-2011, 05:10 PM
Administrator

Lightbulb Move threads in videos section into 2011?

I think it might be better, when there's a big storm, to have all the videos posted in a single thread about that storm. That way there's a single thread with all the talk/data/videos/pictures in one spot.

What do you guys/gals think?

If it's not a big storm and is just a video on lightning, then it can just stay in the Truck Talk area, and any signifcant storms, I'll move the thread into the 2011 forum.

Having too many forums makes it hard to know what one to post in.
Old 09-10-2011, 02:38 AM

Default Re: Move threads in videos section into 2011?

I think significant videos, like the Goderich tornado as an example, could have their own dedicated thread in the 2011 season forum.

Also, the idea of a video specific thread sounds pretty cool. There could be the "August 24th Video Thread", the "June X Thread", etc for ease of use. All videos in one so you don't have to search multiple threads or comb through multiple pages in a specific storm day thread.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:33 AM
Administrator

^^ except if there's already a thread containing pictures and videos of a storm in that town, does one still start another thread for a significant video?

When they overlap like that, and a video could be put in either-or, I'm thinking it's maybe best to just have a single thread, and users interested can view that thread and see all the videos in there. No? I think it's just easier for users to find stuff when it's all in one thread.

There's also the Video Directory link at the top, so if someone has a good video, post it in the thread AND in the Video Directory, so someone searching for just videos can find it in there.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSky View Post
^^ except if there's already a thread containing pictures and videos of a storm in that town, does one still start another thread for a significant video?

When they overlap like that, and a video could be put in either-or, I'm thinking it's maybe best to just have a single thread, and users interested can view that thread and see all the videos in there. No? I think it's just easier for users to find stuff when it's all in one thread.

There's also the Video Directory link at the top, so if someone has a good video, post it in the thread AND in the Video Directory, so someone searching for just videos can find it in there.
Oh I know, it's what I meant by example
Old 09-13-2011, 08:18 AM

I'm in favour of a single thread per storm day in the current season for all vids/pics of that day. A thread will probably get started in the truck stop days in advance but i like being able to find all the goods on a particular day in one place.....
Old 09-14-2011, 01:13 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Joe View Post
I'm in favour of a single thread per storm day in the current season for all vids/pics of that day. A thread will probably get started in the truck stop days in advance but i like being able to find all the goods on a particular day in one place.....
And I'd encourage anyone to put their videos also into the "Video Directory" - that way when people come to the site and are just searching for vids, they can find them there.

But any good videos that people come across can just be posted in the Truck Stop from now on. I'll get to moving the current ones in the Video forum over when I get a chance. (I'm back to work on afternoons now so free time is short)
Old 09-15-2011, 02:25 AM
Administrator

Ok, after much internal debate with myself, I've decided to leave the video forum. It contains sub-forums of videos which better categorize them, and also contains locally hosted videos which take up a lot of space, and it would be a shame to put them into a forum where they'd get less views.

It seems as though the videos in the video forum get more views than the same ones in the Video Directory, so removing the video forum would just mean less views for those videos.

I would advise anyone with a good video they have to share, to post it in both the video forum as a thread, and into a thread about the storm itself if one exists. I really hate overlap, but there's just no way around it.