Ontario Storms Site!  

Go Back   Ontario Storms Site! > Ontario Storms Forums > The Truck Stop: Storm Talk & Chit-Chat

The Truck Stop: Storm Talk & Chit-Chat General talk on past, current, and future storms - all talk about UPCOMING storms goes here

Old 08-14-2011, 03:50 PM

Default Re: August 14, 2011

They have some nice structure to them.
Old 08-14-2011, 03:57 PM

Do it, you may see some good flooding and possibly some wind damage. Radar doesnt really hint at strong winds but heavy rain for sure
Old 08-14-2011, 04:02 PM

Looks like it's junking up.... All the little pop up storms will pose a problem for making a storm consistently strong enough to make it worth chasing I think. I think I'll stay home.... the storm is headed right for me anyways
Old 08-14-2011, 04:05 PM

I'm thinking of staying, the line is going to pass in a way I will have it graze me and I will get a good view of the biggest cell elevated on my balcony.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:10 PM

Nice, get some shots and go on steam lol so we can chat and give me updates in case warnings are needed
Old 08-14-2011, 05:06 PM

Was a nice show here in Hespeler. Just came out of an LCBO in my area and saw some nice clouds coming in. Spend the next fifteen minutes watching the cell move SW. Looked like very heavy rain over Guelph and Kitchener. Clouds had a greenish colour to them signifying some hail, not sure if any made it to ground. What was really cool was the amount of CG lightning that happened around me. I was standing outside of a Tims at this point, the rain all to the NW of me and had a clear view of the lightning that seemed to be striking fairly close to me in every direction. There were several bolts at least 2 kms away.

I got some pictures. I'll try to figure out how to post them later.

Cambridge and Kitchener are under a Warning put out 25 minutes ago......unless they expect something else to hit us, that is about 1 1/2 hrs too late....

Last edited by StormJunkie; 08-14-2011 at 05:09 PM.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:23 PM

There are some pictures and videos on the TWN of pea to marble size hail that fell in Kitchener. Probably on the east end of the city when the storm exploded.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:43 PM

I was at yonge and sheppard when the storms formed watching out of 8 th floor of a building looking northwest. Was under the rain free base there were nice inflow bands from the south into the line and the rain was coming down hard to the north at about finch. Weird storm direction made it take a while to figure out what was happening there was occasional lightning but very heavy rain. Yesterday I drove up to Barrie for a cell that probably could have been warned there were small branches down and no visibility with hail and flooded roads probably 80k winds. That being said with the lack of strong storms most of the year with a few exceptions any storm seems severe lol
Old 08-14-2011, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Joe View Post
I was at yonge and sheppard when the storms formed watching out of 8 th floor of a building looking northwest. Was under the rain free base there were nice inflow bands from the south into the line and the rain was coming down hard to the north at about finch. Weird storm direction made it take a while to figure out what was happening there was occasional lightning but very heavy rain. Yesterday I drove up to Barrie for a cell that probably could have been warned there were small branches down and no visibility with hail and flooded roads probably 80k winds. That being said with the lack of strong storms most of the year with a few exceptions any storm seems severe lol
So true. I literally have to reference back in my memory to compare what is really severe and what's not. Not sure if the one I saw was severe, but it did look mean for a bit.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:01 PM

The second thundershower of the year is nigh.