Ontario Storms Site!  

Go Back   Ontario Storms Site! > Ontario Storms Forums > The Truck Stop: Storm Talk & Chit-Chat

The Truck Stop: Storm Talk & Chit-Chat General talk on past, current, and future storms - all talk about UPCOMING storms goes here

Old 03-10-2010, 03:14 PM
Administrator

Exclamation If everyone could add their location to their signature, 'twould be great

If everyone could click the Settings link on the top left, then go down to Edit Signature and just enter your Town, Province/State that would be helpful. 'Just so we know what part of the globe people are posting from
Old 03-15-2010, 12:53 PM

Default Re: If everyone could add their location to their signature, 'twould be great

Waterloo here!
Old 03-18-2010, 10:38 AM

Default Re: If everyone could add their location to their signature, 'twould be great

No Problemo!

Grey Highlands (Durham) Ontario
The Following User Says Thank You to SlideShowBob For This Useful Post:
DarkSky (03-18-2010)
Old 03-31-2010, 07:27 AM

I currently live in Halifax, Nova Scotia but I am shortly moving to Waterloo to study (you guessed it) severe weather.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:49 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayleigh View Post
I currently live in Halifax, Nova Scotia but I am shortly moving to Waterloo to study (you guessed it) severe weather.
Hopefully you'll be here in time for the storm season! And if these 20C temperatures stick around, it won't be long now!
Old 03-31-2010, 10:05 AM

I am really looking forward to it. I've loved thunderstorms ever since I was a little girl, and the thought of being that close to Canada's lightning capital makes me very excited.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
I am really looking forward to it. I've loved thunderstorms ever since I was a little girl, and the thought of being that close to Canada's lightning capital makes me very excited.
Are you studying meteorology at the universities?
Old 03-31-2010, 03:02 PM

I'm studying geography, actually! I'm examining the atmospheric processes and the public's perception of severe weather. I don't have my thesis topic hammered out yet, but I hope to study tornadoes. That would be choice!
Old 03-31-2010, 05:00 PM

Quote:
I'm studying geography, actually! I'm examining the atmospheric processes and the public's perception of severe weather. I don't have my thesis topic hammered out yet, but I hope to study tornadoes. That would be choice!
That's pretty cool. You'll be surprisingly disappointed by the severe weather in Waterloo . We don't get much. It magically dives northeast or southeast before it hits us. Or, it fizzles or a squall line will break and Waterloo ends up right in the gap. Mighty frustrating! Though, when we finally get a severe storm nature doesn't disappoint.

Some local takes on severe weather I've encountered is people call storms by the Fujita scale. Eg. "Did you see that F4 thunderstorm last night? Those were some pretty intense F4 rains". or there's the ol' "hey look a severe thunderstorm warning and black thundering clouds about to hit, this is a good time to take my baby for a stroll or go to the grocery store"

I'm being serious, too.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:43 PM
Administrator

The worst severe weather stopper is customs at the US/Canada border. Many times a nice squall or isolated cell will be on its way into southern Ontario, only to be denied entry at the border, where the storms pitter out. Hopefully this year customs will be more lax on it's storm policy and will allow more into the province!