PDA

View Full Version : Aug 9, Active day for some

obwan
08-09-2011, 06:52 PM
Looks to be some action this evening, Severe thunderstorm warning for Sarnia and strong line crossing lake Huron toward Sauble beach.

Was in north Toronto for the deluge today, I was at 400 and Steeles. Haven't seen it rain that hard in a long time. I was at the high ground on Steeles west of jane Jane and the road was flowing curb to curb, can only imagine what it was like at Jane catching water from high ground both east and west on steeles. Black Creek must have been a raging river. It was a soaker too lasted about 40-60 minutes.

davefootball123
08-09-2011, 07:36 PM
It poured here. We got about inch in 40 minutes:O. We got about 1.6 inches of rain in total. Also speaking of severe weather today. A storm crossed lake st clair earlier today and was deffenitly severe. Doppler radar indicated winds around 52kts or over 90km/h. I warned the storm before it hit Kent County. NWS dtx warned it back in macomb county and it strengthened over the lake. Cmon EC what were you guys thinking.

Stormydude
08-09-2011, 08:30 PM
EC should hire you. You are seriously better at warning storms than they are lol.

davefootball123
08-09-2011, 09:20 PM
LOL, thanks for the complement. On a more serious note though, they are really lacking when it comes to warning and watch products.

StormJunkie
08-09-2011, 09:30 PM
Looks like the tricity area might get some action tonight too. There are isolated storms heading our way. Might make for some good video, but alas i must sleep through them as i have work in the morning. Sigh.

davefootball123
08-09-2011, 10:00 PM
I have a SWS up for these storms...considering warning it

obwan
08-09-2011, 10:11 PM
like waht i see at port rowan and east tip of long point. both moving ENE, good for niagara hope they reach me, have to get some sleep first though.

StormJunkie
08-09-2011, 10:37 PM
man, we just got the north end of that one and it was pretty severe. lightning flashes every half second. saw a lightning bolt strike toward kitchener and power flashes right aroung where it struck, so it must have taken out a transformer. mostly went south of my location. it's still going on strong though. got some cool video footage of it coming in

benjaminblizzard
08-09-2011, 11:43 PM
Crazy storm coming into Toronto now - intense lightning. Can't believe it's not warned.

davefootball123
08-10-2011, 12:01 AM
MY GOODNESS WAS THAT A GOOD THUNDERSTORM. TOP 3 OR 4 FOR THIS YEAR. I went on a chase and there were multiple CG's, one was within at least 50 ft of my car if not closer.

Raedwulf
08-10-2011, 04:47 PM
What? It's storming in southern ontario? Jeez you guys must be in the luck of the draw here

Derecho
08-10-2011, 11:56 PM
Incredible lightning show in KW from about 945-11pm

Was out on a balcony when the storm approached. For about 30 minutes there was non-stop lightning to the southwest of Waterloo, it was real cool to watch. Checked the radar and the storm was headed for town expected to arrive 30 minutes after the radar check, but yeah the storm dove east and missed Waterloo. But, the lightning was still real intense and constant over Kitchener.

Raedwulf
08-11-2011, 08:10 PM
Nice! Must have been beautiful. One storm for me so far this year. Was a lightning dream.

Trying to be positive..but the trend still continues. I barely even check the forecasts anymore. Just look up:P

Derecho
08-11-2011, 09:40 PM
Nice! Must have been beautiful. One storm for me so far this year. Was a lightning dream.

Trying to be positive..but the trend still continues. I barely even check the forecasts anymore. Just look up:P

We've all been reduced to now-casting.

Is now a good time to point out I've recorded ~40 thunderstorms in my vicinity this year? Four more than 2010's total.

:whistling:

Raedwulf
08-11-2011, 11:15 PM
I'd hardly call little pop up cells which produce very little a 'storm'. More of a thundershower. Even if it is a bit gusty. I'm talking about coverage mainly. Storm systems sweeping through..squall lines.. Like I said I've seen one thunder..shower..this year and it was a lightning show nothing less nothing more. I've been glued to the radar all season except the last couple of weeks because I'm expecting nothing significant to happen at all