PDA

View Full Version : Hello!

Thunderbolt
08-05-2011, 11:04 AM
Hi all,

My name is Kyle and I'm from Sturgeon Falls, Ontario. I'm 15 years old and severe weather has always scared me, but got over it and now it fascinates me. I'm always up at the window during a thunderstorm. I always look at videos of tornadoes on YouTube. I also watch Weatheradio Canada, NOAA Weather Radio, Emergency Alert System and weather/fire siren videos. Just out of curiosity, how many of you guys own a weatheradio?

My area hasn't seen any GOOD thunderstorm action this summer. The storms either go north, south, east, or west of me, or they dissipate.

I'm a member on a forum called Air Raid Sirens.

I have been looking at this site as a guest for a few months now and have recently decided that I should join. I hope to be an active member.

davefootball123
08-05-2011, 02:35 PM
Hey Thunderbolt, welcome to Ontariostorms. I am sure you will like it here. I am 16 years old and I live in Hamilton Ontario, and I do own a weather radio. 2 in fact. We've seen a few good storms this year like the june 4th line of thunderstorms and the june 8th supercell. There have been a few other good storms however July was extremely slow for storms. Anyway have fun here, alot of the information posted is very useful.

Thunderbolt
08-05-2011, 02:48 PM
Thank you! I tracked the squall line and the cell that went through Hamilton on radar. It was quite intense. Wasn't the Ontario Emergency Public Warning System activated for the first time with the tornado warned cell that went through Hamilton?

There were a few intense squall lines that passed through West Nipissing this time last year. Haven't had one this year yet though.

davefootball123
08-05-2011, 05:12 PM
No the Ontario Emergency Public Warning System was not activated. But then again the system is crap and a complete fail. Warning the public just isn't taken seriously here.

Derecho
08-05-2011, 07:57 PM
Hey Thunderbolt, it's Model2 :whistling:

I have a weather radio and a tornado siren.

The OPWS is voluntary, CRTC wouldn't make it mandatory for the media to broadcast. As far as I know, only two media outlets broadcast the OPWS. CHCH and The Weather Network. If I'm not mistaken, I think the CRTC is still holding out for CANALERT, the Canada-wide emergency alert system that has been in development for about fifteen years now. Was supposed to launch about two years ago. ;)

Thunderbolt
08-05-2011, 09:39 PM
Oh hi there! I'm OmniAlert.

stormy kid
08-06-2011, 01:07 PM
Yo thunderbolt what's up i love weather too.