PDA

View Full Version : Forecasting

StormJunkie
07-11-2011, 06:31 PM
Hey guys,

So I have been into Meteorology ever since grade 5, when the movie Twister came out. Over the past few years, I have been self teaching myself about weather patterns, but it hasn't been until the last several months that I've gotten into the hard science of it. Before I mostly had knowledge of the processes of storm development without the knowledge of how data plays out in forecasting these storms. I've done well in understanding a lot of the data, however I still struggle with understanding how to forecast using data such as some weather maps or charts like skew-t charts. I understand what I'm supposed to be seeing (like CAPE, Lifting Indexs, LCL, LFC, etc.) but I struggle in understanding what certain patterns will predict. I am more of a visual learner, so reading material doesn't allow information to sink in as fast as it would if I saw a video of someone explaining the same information.

So my question is, does anyone have links to videos that would help me understand how to forecast short term in order to line myself up for storms. Also, I would like to use this thread as a dialogue about forecasting, data patterns and their implications, and how you guys set up for storms.

(Ps. I hope to take a two month road trip to the central plain in a few years, so I want to be a capable storm chaser by then.)

edit - I should also mention that the site i used to get my weather maps is the SPC Hourly Mesoscale Analysis which is listed on the resources page on this forum.

Derecho
07-11-2011, 09:30 PM
I'm not too sure of any videos, but try:
http://www.theweatherprediction.com/

davefootball123
07-11-2011, 10:33 PM
The SPC Meso is a great way to view surface observations, large area radar, satellite and also all the convective stuff like CAPE, LI's Shear, ect. I find it very useful to determine if storms will stay strong or weaken before or when they get to me. Basicly nowcasting in the 0-6 hour period