FROM THE SRN HIGH PLAINS INTO THE LOWER GREAT LAKES/OH VALLEY...WITH
LITTLE DAY-TO-DAY DISCRIMINATION POSSIBLE...WILL HOLD OFF FOR
ANOTHER MODEL RUN TO MORE READILY CLARIFY SEVERE POTENTIAL EARLY
NEXT WEEK.

..DARROW.. 05/19/2011

hopefully mother nature throws us a bone

Derecho
05-19-2011, 12:16 PM
Sunday night through Monday morning looks impressive for severe thunderstorm action across Southern Ontario. Well, at least on current models. We all know things can change ;)

davefootball123
05-19-2011, 05:57 PM
Yup deffenitly. Latest 12z GFS indicates over 1000j/kg CAPE for much of Southern Ontario with Li's to -4 or lower. Lots of moisture with high temps into the mid/upper twenties and points into the twenties. A nice soutwesterly flow. Looking good right now, will have to see. Also Surface to 6km Shear should be around 30kts or so which will be favourable for a damaging winds mabye even an isolated tornado threat

Derecho
05-20-2011, 01:00 PM
The plot thickens...

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/sref/gifs/2011052009/SREF_prob_combined_sigtor__f087.gif

davefootball123
05-20-2011, 11:07 PM
I was just taking a look at the NAM sounding for 18z Monday for my area and it was quite impressive. Temps into the mid/upper twenties. I wouldnt be suprised if a few locales in Ontario broke 30 but we will have to see. Dewpoints appear to be in the low 20's meaning Monday(as well as Sunday after the warm front goes through) will be very muggy. A Severe Risk looks quite possible, with the main threats being damaging winds and possibley some large hail with the cool mid/upper level temps indicated on the latest sounding. MLCAPE values of about 1000-1500j/kg and liftied indices of -4 or lower are indicated on both the latest GFS and NAM runs. Also there does appear to be about 30-40kts of 0-6km bulk shear which will be supportive of damaging winds but an isolated tornado cant be ruled out given the 150-250 m2s2 helecity values indicated on the latest NAM. Storms that do form will be moving from the WSW at a mean speed of about 25-35kts.

Smokin Joe
05-22-2011, 10:43 AM
was looking at hrrr.....FWIW i know its experimental or whatever and i'm not much of a meteorologist obviously but....

http://rapidrefresh.noaa.gov/hrrrconus/Welcome.cgi?dsKey=hrrr&domain=t7&run_time=22+May+2011+-+12Z

and is it me or does it look good for an area west of lake huron but especially between lake huron and lake erie around 4 pm with (maybe) storms firing on the other side of the lake with them heading for a good environment for storms in sw ontario?

if i'm missing something based on this let me know so i can learn what to look for.....

anybody have any info on the next couple days?

Storm Chaser
05-22-2011, 12:03 PM
was looking at hrrr.....FWIW i know its experimental or whatever and i'm not much of a meteorologist obviously but....

http://rapidrefresh.noaa.gov/hrrrconus/Welcome.cgi?dsKey=hrrr&domain=t7&run_time=22+May+2011+-+12Z

and is it me or does it look good for an area west of lake huron but especially between lake huron and lake erie around 4 pm with (maybe) storms firing on the other side of the lake with them heading for a good environment for storms in sw ontario?

if i'm missing something based on this let me know so i can learn what to look for.....

anybody have any info on the next couple days?
Wow, thats an impressive HRRR run! brings a GREAT storm over my house tonight!

davefootball123
05-22-2011, 02:33 PM
SPC now has us in a slight risk for tomorrow. Also alot of development with the numerous tornado watches in the midwest. Gonna be an active couple of days

obwan
05-22-2011, 11:05 PM
Just looking at whats firing up on radar, How does that song go?? tonights gonna be a good night

Itchy
05-23-2011, 03:32 AM
Well of course this happens at night

http://ontariostorms.com/picture.php?albumid=13&pictureid=244

http://ontariostorms.com/picture.php?albumid=13&pictureid=245

Smokin Joe
05-23-2011, 07:20 AM
Ya wish this was about 8 hrs earlier. I woke up about an hour before that got to my neck of the woods. Was weakening when it past to my south. Saw a couple of anvil crawlers , the wind picked up a bit and the precip core passed to my south...