PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for ruining my weekend plans AGAIN E.C.

DarkSky
05-05-2011, 08:29 PM
Yes, anyone who knows me knows I periodically rip into EC. If it's not about their massive over-issuing of severe storm warnings, it's about this: Their INABILITY to predict the weather!

Earlier in the week they posted in their 5-day forecast that Thurs/Fri where going to be SUNNY, and like 15C Thurs, 17C Friday. Saturday being 14-15 with partial cloud.

Yesterday Saturday had been changed to rain.

TODAY EVEN FRIDAY, WHICH THEY SAID WAS GOING TO BE 17C AND SUNNY, HAS BEEN CHANGED TO 12C AND RAIN !!!

IF YOU CAN'T FORECAST MORE THAN 24 HOURS IN ADVANCE PLEASE DON'T POST 5 DAY FORECASTS ANY LONGER.

The weather is almost never what you posted it to be 5 days previous.

So do what the rest of us do in our jobs: LEARN YOUR LIMITS AND STAY WITHIN THEM. If you know your forecasts are on average only accurate a max. 24-48 hrs in advance, THEN LIMIT THEM TO THAT. This whole pin-the-tail-on-the-donkey technique for predicting the weather 3/4/5 days in advance, is for the birds.

Yes, if EC was a private company that screwed up as much as *they* do, I wouldn't complain as much as *I* do. But being a publicly-funded entity by our tax dollars, I damn well have every right to vent my frustration. Just like a fan paying for a ticket is allowed to boo their own team when they're not performing properly.

... and to any friends reading this who were up-til-now all eager to attend a BBQ planned for this Friday evening. Well, chances are it's cancelled. So if you juggled a lot of other plans around the BBQ, well, it was all for nothin.

GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR !!!!! :mad: :mad:

For the record, I'm not mad at EC for getting the forecasts wrong. I'm mad at them for GIVING THEM IN THE FIRST PLACE. Like I said, if you do an accurate 5 day forecast, DON'T DO IT!

I should probably just stop planning events on EC's forecasts. But does that mean I can stop paying taxes for it too, please?

[RANT OFF]

davefootball123
05-05-2011, 08:37 PM
I do agree with you for the most part...However there is one thing that i think we all need to understand. EC is under-funded so much that there isnt even a way to describe it. They have had so many massive budget cuts that it is ridiculous. I was talking to Geoff Coulson about there forecasting and he was saying how they dont have near the amount of cash or bodies at EC to use any of the latest and the greatest tech. They are now getting there new Ninjo work stations and learning them and eventually will be using ICast convective nowcasting to issue warnings...If they can get the funding. However at the moment I do agree with what Darksky is saying. But its not all EC's fault. Blame the liberals for there late 90's early 2000's budget cuts lol.

obwan
05-05-2011, 09:51 PM
I'm just waiting for them to convert to their summer forecast. You can't go wrong with this one.

Monday - Mix of Sun and Cloud 40% chance of showers

Tuesday -mostly sunny 20% chance of showers

Wednesday - Mix of Sun and Cloud 40% chance of showers

Thursday - Mix of Sun and Cloud 40% chance of showers

Friday -mostly sunny 20% chance of showers

Saturday -Mix of Sun and Cloud 40% chance of showers

Sunday - mostly sunny 20% chance of showers

DarkSky
05-06-2011, 03:19 PM
I do agree with you for the most part...However there is one thing that i think we all need to understand. EC is under-funded so much that there isnt even a way to describe it. They have had so many massive budget cuts that it is ridiculous.

Oh I totally agree. I should mention that I'm not complaining about EC *staff* in the first post - and after re-reading it I do apologize, as it certainly came across that way. They simply don't have the equipment necessary to provide a 5 day forecast. Lets have those at the top of EC realize this and limit it to 3 day. Of course, yesterday they forecasted today as being rain, and we got overcast in the beginning, then changed to sunny with clouds. Maybe limit it to a 24hr forecast. :)

But it's definitely the result of not enough proper hardware for the staff to MAKE those extended forecasts. They should just stop making them altogether. If they're as accurate as through a dart at a board blindfolded, there's no real point in posting them to begin with.

Extended forecasts are VERY important to a LOT of people who make plans for the upcoming days. I'd say it's well worth the extra money required for them to be accurate. Lets cut out some less needed programs and funnel the money towards getting accurate forecasts.
They are now getting there new Ninjo work stations and learning them and eventually will be using ICast convective nowcasting to issue warnings...If they can get the fundingSounds very interesting! And thank you for that information. Hopefully they'll get the $ required to make better forecasts.

duruisso
05-06-2011, 07:17 PM
I have to agree, EC is less than reliable when it comes to forecasting and even warnings... Someone or the system once left a severe storm warning for 4 days in a row on a long weekend ( I just assumed someone went home and forgot to turn it off). I mostly rely on Intellicast, it seems to be so much more reliable... Plus they provide such better data.