PDA

View Full Version : Best Android storm tracking apps

DarkSky
02-09-2011, 01:59 PM
There was a thread going in the wx mailing list about this, but with 20 subjects going on a single list I find it hard to follow things, so I'm starting it here :)

Someone posted an Android app that would show GPS location with radar overlay, called Pykl3 Radar. The demo locks you into a location in Florida, but from what I saw from the demo, it doesn't seem to have a street map.

I just intalled Radar Now and it seems to have a looped radar over your current GPS location, but you can't zoom in much, and zooming in just pixelates the original image.

WeatherBug Elite has nice street maps with a LARGE selection of looped (or still) images overlayed. Radar, satellite, lightning strikes, alerts, polygon vectors. Sends weather alerts to your phone. Good pinch zoom in/out and map scrolling.

Actually I'm not entirely sure what the difference between WeatherBug Elite and the free WeatherBug app is. I know it seemed like a good upgrade at the time so I dropped the 5 bucks or whatever it was for the Elite version.

I haven't tested it while mobile in the car yet, so I'm unsure if the GPS updates to your live position, but I'm guessing it does.

"Follow Me" mode will show current temperature of the nearest weather station you're closest to as you travel...

Apparently there's also a WeatherBug app for your PC. I haven't installed it though.

DarkSky
02-09-2011, 02:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hjs0bwdHPVU

Derecho
02-10-2011, 12:24 AM
I don't have an Android, or any special phone for that matter, but I'm pretty sure the very best storm tracking app out there is 'Radarscope' for the iPhone. It's only available in the United States, but wow, it's a beauty! It's like having Gibson Ridge software right on your phone.

A lot of American chasers use it. It has a one time payment of $9.99 and it's constantly featured in Storm Chasers season 4 without directly referencing it, they just show images on their phones.

http://www.basevelocity.com/RadarScope/

Just an FYI post.

DarkSky
02-10-2011, 02:09 AM
Yah, RadarScope seems to be iPhone only, but WeatherBug seems to be pretty much the same. I'll have to check out Weatherbug more during storm season especially when I'm mobile.