PDA

View Full Version : Camcorder Purchase Advice?

Itchy
01-23-2011, 05:58 AM
Only concern with the camcorder is performance with storms so keep that in mind :)

Finally going to get a camcorder! I have a limit of around 600 but I would like to spend less if possible

I was looking at things like the Canon Vixia HFM 30, I noticed it boasts good reproduction of blues and purples at low light.

There is also a store near me selling Sony HDR-CX110 AVCHD's for 359 right now and most sights online are selling them for 499

Any Advice in general or with these two, should I get something else? Something that lets you can an external mic you can put some kind of wind sock on would be nice as well

DarkSky
01-23-2011, 01:07 PM
1: make sure it has manual exposure settings. Such as shutter time. My cheap'o JVC Everio does. You can set the shutter time lower so night shooting is picked up better.

2: Preferably one that doesn't start a new file ever time you hit stop/start. Option to continue recording to same file would be good.

3: Make sure it records to a video format your video editor can work with.

4: Size - is it something you'll want to be able to mount on a ram-mount (suction mount) on your windshield? Some are too long to fit once it's bent.

But basically any big-name camcorder on the market is going to do a great job. That's the reason they're still out on the market. They work. If you have knowledge of video editing software you can compensate for most lack of high-end features on the camera such as brightening a scene up, image stabilization, noise reduction, etc..

I'm actually planning on buying a new one as I want to get a full 1080HD recorder for when I go to Cuba in April.

davefootball123
01-25-2011, 07:37 PM
Buy a 60d... I hear they have great video. I have a nikon d90 and the video is pretty good. The stills are great though.

DarkSky
01-26-2011, 01:22 AM
Buy a 60d... I hear they have great video. I have a nikon d90 and the video is pretty good. The stills are great though.

If you want it for video, unless SLRs have had a huge leap in their video recording, STAY AWAY from an SLR for video.

They're great as long as your subject isn't moving towards/away from the camera. Most DSLRs don't have auto-focus when in video mode. My Canon EOS Ti2 takes great video if I focus on the subject, hit record, and the subject doesn't move. But if you pan the camera around while recording, you'll have ONE focal distance in focus, and the rest won't be in focus.

Eventually they'll have one unit which does both just as good, but right now it's much more efficient right now to get an HD camcorder for video, and a DSLR for photos.

Itchy
01-29-2011, 05:58 PM
I wound up grabbing the Sony, not bad for 360 bucks but it could be better. Can't wait to see how it handles a storm :)

davefootball123
01-29-2011, 06:32 PM
If you want it for video, unless SLRs have had a huge leap in their video recording, STAY AWAY from an SLR for video.

They're great as long as your subject isn't moving towards/away from the camera. Most DSLRs don't have auto-focus when in video mode. My Canon EOS Ti2 takes great video if I focus on the subject, hit record, and the subject doesn't move. But if you pan the camera around while recording, you'll have ONE focal distance in focus, and the rest won't be in focus.

Eventually they'll have one unit which does both just as good, but right now it's much more efficient right now to get an HD camcorder for video, and a DSLR for photos.

Set a large apprature. The 60D has manual controls for video

DarkSky
01-30-2011, 12:09 AM
Set a large apprature. The 60D has manual controls for video

??? It has autofocus in video mode? Aperture just lets light in to the lens, but that has nothing to do on being able to focus on a moving subject. You need a camera that, while in video mode, will continually re-focus as the subject moves towards/away from the lens (as a camcorder does by default). Almost all DSLR's don't allow for that while in video mode because the mirror needs to be flipped to do so with DSLRs. http://www.google.ca/search?q=dslr+autofocus+video+mode

I'm sure they will eventually. But with the big lenses on DSLRs, it would suck the life out of the batteries in a matter of minutes. The motors in the DSLR lenses are much more precise than the fluid motion of camcorder lenses. Maybe they'll come out with DSLR lenses meant specifically for shooting video. Then we could just pop on our DSLR body and use it as a regular camcorder. Who knows what the future holds.... :)

davefootball123
01-30-2011, 12:27 AM
A smaller apreture which is a higer f stop is a larger focal plane. Meaning more will be in focus meaning u just have to make sligh manual focus adjustments. And the Nikon d3100 and d7000 have full time Af in video mode using contrast detection. With the new sony alpha translucent mirror tech the A55 and A33 can autofoucs full time using the phase detection system without flipping the mirror

DarkSky
02-04-2011, 05:55 PM
http://a.fsdn.com/gc/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/jvc_hd620_06-538x440.jpg

Oddly enough I just picked up a new camcorder today.

Old one: JVC Everio (SD) 30gb HDD, 35x optical zoom, image stabilization, photos: 640x480
New one: JVC Everio HD620BU (1080p Full HD) 120gb HDD + SD card, 30x optical zoom, image stabilization, time lapse, photos: 1920x1080

Oddly enough, I paid about the same for both :( My SD Everio is only about a year old and I think I paid about 400 bucks for it.

The new one is regular $699 which I got at Best Buy on sale for $449 ($250 off)

davefootball123
02-04-2011, 06:45 PM
very nice. is there any possibility that you could post an example of the corder in low light :D

Derecho
02-04-2011, 09:12 PM
Wow, great steal, DarkSky! How big is it? It looks really tiny in that picture. Do want!

davefootball123
02-04-2011, 11:13 PM
hey derecho to give a size example. There is a strap on the right side of the corder and you usually fit your 4 fingers in there.

Derecho
02-05-2011, 01:50 AM
hey derecho to give a size example. There is a strap on the right side of the corder and you usually fit your 4 fingers in there.

I'm six feet five inches tall. Will four of my fingers fit in the strap? :whistling:

Smokin Joe
02-05-2011, 10:54 AM
not if you have sausage fingers lol

davefootball123
02-05-2011, 02:07 PM
I have an average sized hand but ya thats true. My point was is that its not to big

DarkSky
02-05-2011, 02:52 PM
very nice. is there any possibility that you could post an example of the corder in low light :D

Actually it has a few options for shooting in low light. You can switch to manual shutter speed - really brightens things up naturally. Although it's not good for a moving subject, because with a lower shutter speed you get tons of blurring if the camera is moving around. But good for night shots on a tripod.

Here's some examples of low light I found on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDARQNsrf04

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4pAxrQ50qc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3mur0eyf0g
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3mur0eyf0g)

davefootball123
02-05-2011, 05:21 PM
Very nice. Wish my little jvc could do that

DarkSky
02-05-2011, 05:47 PM
Wow, great steal, DarkSky! How big is it? It looks really tiny in that picture. Do want!

It's the same size as my standard def (SD) JVC Everio. With battery it's 4.5" long, 2.5" high and 2" wide. Will fit in my pants pocket, and very easily in coat pocket.