PDA

View Full Version : canwarn

obwan
01-22-2011, 10:19 AM
CANadian Weather Amateur Radio Network

The CanWarn program is a severe weather spotting and reporting program organized and run by the Meteorological Services Division of Environment Canada.

CanWarn is the eyes and ears of Environment Canada. It exists in Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia and is a program similar to that of SkyWarn in the United States.

Ontario has approximately 1,800 spotters who are of all ages and come from all walks of life. As much as 30% of the severe weather events Ontario experiences each season are reported by CanWarn spotters.

Has anyone here attended any of these sessions???
http://www.canwarnhamilton.ca/index.php?module=Pages&func=display&pageid=17
I don't see a schedule for 2011 yet but am thinking of going.

I also see this on hte skywarn site; http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/brochures/basicspot.pdf

I have a scanner but mostly listen to NOAA, will have to try the listed freguencies to hear how these people relay info.

DarkSky
01-22-2011, 01:53 PM
I attended one back in '99 or 2000. They're very informative. The one here in Niagara (out at the airport) was mostly rural farmers and HAM geeks, so I felt out of place. But I bet with cell phones replacing HAM as the mobile communication of choice, it's probably not like it used to be when I went :)

Derecho
01-22-2011, 03:12 PM
I've got a CANWARN card through Environment Canada storm spotter network.

davefootball123
01-22-2011, 03:44 PM
so do i, I attended last year and will this year too

Smokin Joe
01-22-2011, 10:52 PM
Me too and I'll go this year too. Check it out for sure

Derecho
01-22-2011, 11:58 PM
Me too and I'll go this year too. Check it out for sure

I've missed the last three years of classes, but I will try again for 2011. Who knows, maybe this will be the year one of us gets to report something. I'd like to buy a hand-held anemometer for this season. I'm sure that in previous years storm winds have been on the threshold of reporting purposes, but without proof of evidence, I've been to scared to report anything.

davefootball123
01-23-2011, 12:20 AM
i vote you should all come to hamilton. :D

obwan
01-23-2011, 12:57 AM
thanks, i will have to make a point of attending this year. Hamilton might be good location as i'm not sure niagara still has one. I was even thinking of going stateside but wasn't sure how they'd take to having out of country people attend when we have something similar here.

davefootball123
01-31-2011, 10:01 PM
Im pretty sure niagara does. But hamilton has a great place to do it. 5 minute walk from me lol. At the chedoke hospital nash auditorium which is great for seating.