PDA

View Full Version : Storm Chasers TV Show

Derecho
11-10-2010, 08:53 PM
Does anyone here watch Storm Chasers off Discovery? It's a reality television series that since 2007 has been tracking Sean Casey as he tries to intercept tornadoes for his IMAX film. It also follows Reed Timmer, and Tim Samaras. It could do with less Reed I think, but at least he keeps the show interesting!

I know it's not aired on Discovery Channel Canada, but you can buy the first three seasons inexpensively off Discovery USA's website store. I got the box set of seasons 1 & 2 last Christmas then bought season three when it was released a few weeks later. It's definitely worth the purchase! It's full of storm chasing action, with excellent tornado footage. It feels like you are there with the chasers.

Season four is airing right now in the United States, so the dvd release should be sometime after Christmas. Can't wait!

I've been re-watching the first three seasons, it's helping to get through the off-season right now. :whistling:

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/storm-chasers/

davefootball123
11-10-2010, 10:27 PM
wanna mail a copy to me?? Jks

DarkSky
11-11-2010, 12:09 AM
I've got the first 2 seasons in HD. Reed Timmer is very entertaining... The IMAX guy is a bit weird (and green with envy and shows it..) Great series though!

Love the scene were Reed drives into a tornado, and debris knocks out his driver's side window, leaving him all bloody-faced, and he's not even really worried about injury. 'Just too pumped about the tornado :)

Derecho
11-11-2010, 03:53 PM
wanna mail a copy to me?? Jks

Christmas is coming!

I've got the first 2 seasons in HD. Reed Timmer is very entertaining... The IMAX guy is a bit weird (and green with envy and shows it..) Great series though!

Love the scene were Reed drives into a tornado, and debris knocks out his driver's side window, leaving him all bloody-faced, and he's not even really worried about injury. 'Just too pumped about the tornado :)

Aurora, Nebraska.

I remember seeing photos of Reed all bloodied and battered with the wedge in the background and I thought to myself, "what in the heck??". When I saw that episode, I had to rewind that scene about five times it was so stunning. Then, he gets out of the car and runs after the tornado while there is bleeding all over his head.

He's one crazy person! Episode six of season four is going to deal with Reed and about ten other chasers who got stuck in that field in South Dakota after the Bowdle, SD EF4 back in May or June. You may have heard of that incident, the GPS system said there was a road, so all these chasers turned into this field to chase the wedge tornado, then the road stopped and they got stuck in the mud. The wedge passed just in front of everyone. :eek:

They are all lucky to be alive. The film crew was with them at the time, I looked up the episodes trailer on Youtube- it looks terrifying.

Derecho
01-11-2011, 09:40 PM
Bump! Discovery Canada has picked up Storm Chasers with season four premiering tomorrow (Wed.Jan.12) at 10pm!

davefootball123
01-11-2011, 09:57 PM
Also remind me tomorrow so i dont forget

Smokin Joe
01-13-2011, 10:18 AM
man that imax guy is annoying.......or they edit him that way....time will tell......reed yells too much......I think i like reeds driver and the imax guys meteorologist the best.......

love the storms though!!

Derecho
01-13-2011, 09:16 PM
man that imax guy is annoying.......or they edit him that way....time will tell......reed yells too much......I think i like reeds driver and the imax guys meteorologist the best.......

love the storms though!!

I'm a huge fan of Sean Casey. His Imax film 'Tornado Alley' is coming out this year. http://www.bigmoviezone.com/filmsearch/movies/index.html?uniq=431

Also, I've already seen this season, the DVD has been on sale at the Discovery Channel store for a while. No spoilers, but this season is by far the best yet. It's an emotional rollercoaster and it features the best moments and chases to date with the team.

davefootball123
01-13-2011, 09:28 PM
nice thanks for the post

Smokin Joe
01-14-2011, 08:41 AM
I'll check out his movie for sure..........he just seemed kinda bitter or jealous and/or controlling......i'll have to see more episodes to get familiar with the personalities.......it adds another element to the show with the competitive animosity between the two groups....

when does that movie come out?

DarkSky
01-14-2011, 02:17 PM

love the storms though!!

I love Reed's passion for it. He turns into a different person when there's a storm approaching. Although I think his enthusiasm will get him killed some day. It's already got him and others injured.

The IMAX guy is a walking temper tantrum. He gets overly jealous, envious, doesn't take what others want to do into consideration, etc, etc, etc... we've all known people like that in our lives. It's just too bad someone with a better personality wasn't in that spot on the show. I'd still love to see that TIV2 go into a tornado.

.. kinda embarrassing for Reed to drive by him on the highway, only to have his Rino armor lining start peeling off his truck :) That stuff's supposed to be super strong though - they line truck beds with it.

'Should be an interesting season at least. Great timing too - right in the middle of our depressing winter :)

Smokin Joe
01-14-2011, 03:34 PM
Ya the liner was funny I'm sure he paid an arm and a leg for it too....

I agree he has passion ...i wish they'd turn his mic down a bit that's all lol.....

I saw on mythbusters they tested one of those vehicles behind a jets thrust to see if it'd hold up and it did.....not sure if it was that one though...

and depressing is right.......seems we've been under at least lake effect cloud cover for 2 months straight.....on my way south in in the mornings down the 404 i see a small break in the clouds on either horizon and you get 5 min of sunshine in the morning at dawn and 5 min right before it sets....rest of the day is pure gloomy up here.....clouds from georgian bay/lake huron are overhead all day....

Derecho
01-14-2011, 04:01 PM
I love Reed's passion for it. He turns into a different person when there's a storm approaching. Although I think his enthusiasm will get him killed some day. It's already got him and others injured.

When Reed and TVN intercepted the tornado outside of Aurora, Nebraska in 2009 and reports starting flooding in that the SRV was damaged, and they got injured, I thought that was it an Reed would retire. It seems as though that misfortune only strengthened his passion and admiration for tornadoes... and intercepting them. :unsure:

DarkSky
01-14-2011, 06:38 PM
I saw on mythbusters they tested one of those vehicles behind a jets thrust to see if it'd hold up and it did.....not sure if it was that one though...

Was the vehicle anchored down? The wind alone might night tear an armored vehicle apart, but once it starts being thrown around and tumbling, that's a different matter. The armor they've added is a great precautionary measure, but I think they're under the impression they're invincible now. Thankfully they've never been 'lucky' enough to drive inside a big tornado yet.

Smokin Joe
01-15-2011, 10:48 AM
The vehicle had its own anchors......and it survived well....i think it ended up sliding backwards at the end but didn't roll or break up.

they also made and tested something that a human could wear in such winds while laying on the ground and survive......it got torn apart though....i bet you can find the episode on line somewhere