PDA

View Full Version : Why no storms today?

Smokin Joe
09-24-2010, 12:33 PM
With it being so warm and a cold front moving through with a major drop in temps behind it, why are we not getting storms? Are we just lacking moisture?
Big winds are forecast too, just walking outside seems like a day where if there were storms they'd be good.....its like when we had the hot and humid weather for so long earlier this year and when it finally broke there were no storms? I'm not experienced enough to know but does this year blow or what?

Derecho
09-24-2010, 02:01 PM
Moisture and instability are lacking today.

Personally, this feels like just another year in Ontario. Aside from 2006, and 2009... nothing ever really happens around here! :whistling:

Smokin Joe
09-24-2010, 02:52 PM
I think I have too high of hopes......doesn't help tho that when i went to bed last night seemed everyone was calling for storms.

Oh well after today i think were done for severe t-storms in my neck of the woods at least for 2010.

I was reading the Brett Anderson blog on accuweather he was saying that more winter storms will be moving through the midwest and into the lower great lakes this year....i hope he's right last winter was a huge bore

davefootball123
09-24-2010, 04:24 PM
This year was crap for storms. Only 6 really good ones for me. 2009 was good same with 06 and 1999 even though i dont remember 1999 to much. 2008 and 7 were pretty good. Not sure about 05 04 03 02 01 and 00. Anyone got a say?

xxCanuck
09-27-2010, 01:25 AM
6 really good ones this year? I don't think I saw that many here.

DarkSky
09-27-2010, 08:50 AM
6 really good ones this year? I don't think I saw that many here.

Definitely not here in St. Catharines. I remember when I first started actively watching/filming storms around '97/98, storm seasons were MUCH more active than they have been in recent years. Must be a [hopefully small] phase we're going through, weather-wise.

Derecho
10-05-2010, 02:06 AM
Definitely not here in St. Catharines. I remember when I first started actively watching/filming storms around '97/98, storm seasons were MUCH more active than they have been in recent years. Must be a [hopefully small] phase we're going through, weather-wise.

Obviously what is happening is that, with the advent of social networking, while the storm buffs look on to the skies while posting on their favourite weather forums with fellow storm chaser comrades, the storms themselves are much to shy to go out in public without putting their face on. Which, applying makeup alone can take several hours, and by then, they've missed their opportunity to be stars.

I think...

That, or some mad scientist has secretly developed a storm magnet in Essex County...

DarkSky
10-05-2010, 01:48 PM
Don't count our season out yet folks. I remember a few good ones in October from previous years. I even remember one year watching a Leaf game on Halloween and we had a severe thunderstorm with massive lightning and winds. And here in Niagara we get t-storms all the way into late December sometimes - not 'thundersnow' but actual rain tstorms. I remember being home from work on lunch one mid-December and it was 20C with a nice tstorm going on.

Don't hold your breath, but we could still have some action.

Derecho
10-05-2010, 06:06 PM
Don't count our season out yet folks. I remember a few good ones in October from previous years. I even remember one year watching a Leaf game on Halloween and we had a severe thunderstorm with massive lightning and winds. And here in Niagara we get t-storms all the way into late December sometimes - not 'thundersnow' but actual rain tstorms. I remember being home from work on lunch one mid-December and it was 20C with a nice tstorm going on.

Don't hold your breath, but we could still have some action.

Oh yes, I remember severe thunderstorms in late October and possibly November... but, I also remember trick-or-treating in two feet of snow. :whistling: