PDA

View Full Version : August 14, 2010 - Near Sault Ste. Marie

gecko
09-01-2010, 07:56 AM
I'm new to this forum, and not a storm chaser, but I am a casual weather geek.

My spouse and I observed this weather during a drive up north for a kayak trip late afternoon (about 4:45 local time, Saturday, Aug 14) on Hwy 17.

Early shots show the sky from around Rydal Bank, Ontario, storm shots are from near Neebish (southeast of Sault Ste. Marie), later shots are of coming out on the cold side of the front at the south end of the Sault, looking back on the system.

There was rotation visible in the mists at the base of the descending cloud form. Unfortunately, we were making about 60-80 km/h toward Sault Ste. Marie, so we never got to see if it developed into something more. I had mixed feelings about driving through this weather with two kayaks strapped to the roof of the car - wanted to go slow & shoot the cloud & wanted to speed up & get out of there!

DarkSky
09-01-2010, 11:59 AM
Welcome to the board - and PERFECT post! 'Posted into correct forum, used the date at the beginning of the title, awesome summary and great shots!

obwan
09-01-2010, 06:42 PM
great post, nice funnel, is that hail on the road during the downpour?? here is the radar loop of the storm, looks more like a rogue storm

http://www.climate.weatheroffice.gc.ca/radar/index_e.html?RadarSite=WGJ&sYear=2010&sMonth=8&sDay=14&sHour=21&sMin=00&sec=00&Duration=2&ImageType=Default

gecko
09-01-2010, 07:07 PM
Thanks. I didn't notice any hail - just a lot of hard rain & spray from the road. I've been wondering if this was an isolated system or a front that moved through - anyone know?

davefootball123
09-01-2010, 07:14 PM
Hmm looking at old spc outlooks it seems that it was an isolated thunderstorm. Mabye of a boundry from earlier storms?

gecko
09-01-2010, 09:05 PM
great post, nice funnel, is that hail on the road during the downpour?? here is the radar loop of the storm, looks more like a rogue storm

http://www.climate.weatheroffice.gc.ca/radar/index_e.html?RadarSite=WGJ&sYear=2010&sMonth=8&sDay=14&sHour=21&sMin=00&sec=00&Duration=2&ImageType=Default

Thanks for the loop, didn't notice that link in my haste at work today. Certainly does look like an isolated convective cell.

Derecho
09-01-2010, 10:03 PM
Beautiful shots! Right place right time for sure :)

Itchy
09-02-2010, 07:11 AM
Nice funnel and wall cloud!!!!!! Great pics too!

gecko
09-02-2010, 07:43 AM
Nice funnel and wall cloud!!!!!! Great pics too!

Thanks. Another detail I forgot to add at the top: temperature differential. On the leading side of the system, the surface temp was around 29C as I recall. Once we'd gone through and popped out the other side at Sault Ste. Marie, surface temp was down to 23C or so. That's why I initially wondered if this had been a longer front passing through.