PDA

View Full Version : Where were you Aug 20/09 and did you see a tornado?

Smokin Joe
08-20-2010, 05:03 PM
I went out with my buddy after work and we ended up at hwy 400 and canal road. my buddy ended up losing his phone somehow so we had no radar. we ended up behind a huge storm that had the most intense lighning that turned the sky pink everytime it struck.......lucky i wasnt hurt as if we had radar we may have put ourselves right in harms way without knowing any better.

i had just "chased" for the first time less than a month earlier and didnt know at all what i was doing........lol i'm waiting for the next big day like that.....

davefootball123
08-20-2010, 05:52 PM
Hey Joe great story.
I was tracking the storms all day listening to the reports ring out of durham then i had to go out to shop and get some dinner, I had no radar and no way of knowing where the storms where and then i looked outside and saw the darkest cloud mass with the squall line i had even seen. I went back in to tell my parents and they started to rush to get the shopping done. Then i heard it over the radio that there was a tornado warning for hamilton and i was like sick!!! time to go watch. So im watching the fork lightning out infront of the line and it was a pale green. I could tell that many storms that day had supercell characterisitcs with them. Then it hit. I had wind gusts close to 90km/h and we were trying to load groceries in the driving rain winds and lightning in an open parking lot lol. It was so sick. I was completely soaked. I could tell that the storms were rotating cause the shift in the wind direction. Anyway it was a great storm. And i miss it lol

Derecho
08-20-2010, 06:13 PM
Working, completely oblivious to the weather because TWN's text messaging service had jammed from about 230pm to about 10.

davefootball123
08-20-2010, 08:42 PM
OMG i feel so so so so so so bad for u. u missed such a great storm omg, lol. sorry

Smokin Joe
08-21-2010, 10:39 AM
at least he was working so it may have been worse to know what was going on and being stuck at work lol

Itchy
08-22-2010, 11:05 AM
I chased the portion of the line that came through middlesex, some Isolated cells tried to fire up ahead of it but they fell apart fast. I did come across a road that showed signs of an isolated downburst with a couple trees and large 2-3 foot limbs scattered on a roughly 200 yard stretch of road