PDA

View Full Version : Is August PrimeTornado Season in S-ON?

Smokin Joe
08-10-2010, 02:17 PM
This may seem like a dumb question but I'm bored lol. My answer would be yes..

In much of what I've read May June and July are said to be prime months for Southern Ontario tornado season.

But looking back a bit many tornado outbreaks and really strong storms and heavy heavy rain and large hail events have occurred in August over the past decade or so.

Perhaps the few things I've read have all been using the same info but does anyone think that August should be considered prime tornado time too. I know the difference in air temps behind cold fronts tends to be greater in late spring early summer but then look how many big events have gone down in August in recent years.....

Anywho.........thats it hopefully someone else is bored enough to answer...

davefootball123
08-10-2010, 03:03 PM
Its hard to tell really. In the past ten years ya mabye, but thats a very very very small fraction of records. Take may 31 1985 when the F4 hit Barrie and Grand Valley for example that wasent in august lol. But what i would say is the may be a better chance for early summer and late summer aposed to the middle becase the low pressures are starting to get stronger and the temprature diffrences are larger. Look at Febuary 10 2009 tornado outbreak for example. Oklahoma was in the 20's C and after they were like 9 lol

Derecho
08-10-2010, 04:32 PM
August experiences the most tornadoes on average historically for southern Ontario than any other month of the year. So, August is typically our most prime month of the year to see tornado activity.

davefootball123
08-10-2010, 04:57 PM
Not this year so far lol, Jks Jks