PDA

View Full Version : Tornado sirens in Corunna, Ontario

Derecho
06-22-2010, 11:04 PM
I made this video of the tornado sirens in Corunna, Ontario 5km south of Sarnia back in January. Sarnia operates tornado sirens, too. Sarnia's sirens can be heard in the first 1:15 of the video.

Just so you know, some municipalities operate tornado sirens around here. Also, Woolwich township surrounding me operates eight tornado sirens. No video of them. I'm too far away.

Skip ahead to 1:30 for Corunna's sirens.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnLCRO-8PRk

Slacker
06-23-2010, 01:35 AM
There are sirens as well in Essex County, but I've never heard them used for anything other then testing.

Derecho
06-23-2010, 10:45 AM
There are sirens as well in Essex County, but I've never heard them used for anything other then testing.

Not even during the recent tornado warnings?

I've noticed over the last few years that Sarnia-Lambton CAER really delay activating the sirens for emergencies. Also, when Imperial Oil blew up in 2006 at 3am in the morning, they figured since everyone was sleep(though most heard and felt the explosion) that there was no urgent need to sound them.

It's been a long time since a tornado warning for Lambton, about six years? But, back in the 90s I can recall several occasions where they sounded the sirens during tornado warnings. Very eerie during those events, green sky, sirens wailing in all directions from Ontario and Michigan. An experience most don't get to go through around here, with the sirens I mean.

Anyhow, I just think it's really cool that there are tornado sirens in Ontario. Elmira, 15km from here, controls Woolwich's system. On very clear days with the right wind conditions, I can hear the Saturday test if I'm outside. Amazing how there is a device so loud that 10-15km away you can hear it.

Slacker
06-23-2010, 02:40 PM
Not even during the recent tornado warnings?

I've noticed over the last few years that Sarnia-Lambton CAER really delay activating the sirens for emergencies. Also, when Imperial Oil blew up in 2006 at 3am in the morning, they figured since everyone was sleep(though most heard and felt the explosion) that there was no urgent need to sound them.

It's been a long time since a tornado warning for Lambton, about six years? But, back in the 90s I can recall several occasions where they sounded the sirens during tornado warnings. Very eerie during those events, green sky, sirens wailing in all directions from Ontario and Michigan. An experience most don't get to go through around here, with the sirens I mean.

Anyhow, I just think it's really cool that there are tornado sirens in Ontario. Elmira, 15km from here, controls Woolwich's system. On very clear days with the right wind conditions, I can hear the Saturday test if I'm outside. Amazing how there is a device so loud that 10-15km away you can hear it.

Nope, not even during the tornado warnings.