PDA

View Full Version : June 15: Southern Ontario

Derecho
06-15-2010, 03:53 PM
As the possible derecho progresses and spreads across the eastern Midwest/Ohio Valley tonight, the northern end of the low will be passing over us here in southern Ontario. Isolated non-severe thunderstorms will be likely overnight across many regions, hopefully with a few pockets of severe weather.

I'm eying a rather interesting line of storms firing across southern Michigan. These storms are heading in the direction of southwest Ontario, so our members in Essex, Kent, Lambton, Middlesex, and Elgin counties may have a shot of some action this evening.

Environment Canada has not released the updated convective weather forecast yet. We'll have to wait and see what they think!

They mentioned isolated thunderstorms overnight for much of the region in the special weather statement regarding the heavy rainfall.

Derecho
06-15-2010, 04:08 PM
Off to the races!

TONIGHT..ISOLATED NON-SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS ARE POSSIBLE OVER
SOUTHWESTERN AND SOUTH CENTRAL ONTARIO ASSOCIATED WITH A FRONTAL
SYSTEM BEGINNING LATE THIS EVENING. THERE IS A CHANCE THAT SOME
OF THE STORMS MAY APPROACH SEVERE LIMITS WITH HEAVY DOWNPOURS AND
STRONG WIND GUSTS AS THE MAIN CONCERNS. CHANCE OF AN ISOLATED
NON-SEVERE THUNDERSTORM OVER NORTHWESTERN ONTARIO EARLY THIS EVENING

davefootball123
06-15-2010, 05:32 PM
Lets Hope that the posiblity is good

Derecho
06-16-2010, 01:01 PM
Well, I didn't hear any overnight thunder, did anyone else?

DarkSky
06-16-2010, 01:33 PM
Well, I didn't hear any overnight thunder, did anyone else?

There were about 3 loud rumbles early in the morning here, along with rain (light winds).

Derecho
06-16-2010, 02:30 PM
There were about 3 loud rumbles early in the morning here, along with rain (light winds).

Oh, and looky here! A line is building from Tillsonburg to Hamilton to Oshawa. SPC is going to issue a severe thunderstorm watch for W NY. It's headed right for you, DarkSky. It's strengthening fast.

I find consolation in the fact KBUF radar has not detected by lightning yet.

davefootball123
06-16-2010, 03:29 PM
Around 6 am this morning we had a pretty nice storm with some fork lightning and heavy rain and this afternoon we had some rumbles of thunder heavy rain and gusty winds. I think it is weakening now as it head for the u.s. Around 2:15 we had an ok storm some thunder and some very heavy rain and gust winds 60-70km/h tops and it had some nice cloud formation i was watching it on radar at school than i had to walk home in it. Lasted till about 3ish

DarkSky
06-16-2010, 04:02 PM
Oh, and looky here! A line is building from Tillsonburg to Hamilton to Oshawa. SPC is going to issue a severe thunderstorm watch for W NY. It's headed right for you, DarkSky. It's strengthening fast.

I find consolation in the fact KBUF radar has not detected by lightning yet.

We had some brief rain with large droplets (those kind that often precede hail - no hail though) but that was about it. Pretty dark sky out over the lake, but the clouds look unorganized. 'Probably going to pass by with not much excitement :(

davefootball123
06-16-2010, 04:04 PM
That kinda sucks. We have had only about 2 good storms hear in the hammer this year hopefully the activity will pick up.

davefootball123
06-16-2010, 04:18 PM
You also said you had big raindrops. They were pretty big here to. I got very wet walking home from school

Derecho
06-16-2010, 04:30 PM
We had some brief rain with large droplets (those kind that often precede hail - no hail though) but that was about it. Pretty dark sky out over the lake, but the clouds look unorganized. 'Probably going to pass by with not much excitement :(

Dang!

We just had the most interesting rain come through. It was sunny one minute, the next the guy was gray and rain was coming down in sheets.

It looked like a tropical storm band. I went through Katrina, and this was just like the rainbands! The gray fast moving thin layer of clouds with sheet rain.

Awesome!

(Why am I getting so excited for rain?)

davefootball123
06-16-2010, 07:05 PM
Ya i guess it has been kinda slow this year. Rain! exciting! i never thought