PDA

View Full Version : Predicting Target Areas

Smokin Joe
06-10-2010, 03:44 PM
Its been about a year since i've been learning about/looking for storms....

I've read a whole bunch on storms/meteorology/forecasting and have taken CANWARN training but i'm still pretty green in the grand scheme of things as only some of it sticks with me at this point. I can't wrap my head around all the weather maps but see EC has a severe weather section of maps ect.

I look at SPC and EC outlooks and read the text on SPC (not understanding most of it lol) but looking for key words and areas.

I look for areas with higher dewpoints within predicted areas (within ontario) the area and see where the sun is out more on the satelite maps

Then watch the EC and Wunderground radars and hope something pops within driving distance....

But is there a not too complicated way that someone like me could make up a target area without having a degree in meteorology or any software?

Any tips on targeting or good sources of info for Ontario? Or do I just have to keep learning until it sticks?

What do those of you out there who target areas for storms to go off look for?

Thanks

DarkSky
06-11-2010, 03:39 AM
I can't forecast, so I just do it the simple way... watch the radar loops and determine which way the storms are heading :)

Derecho
06-11-2010, 12:44 PM
Smokin' Joe, I have no idea.

DarkSky
06-11-2010, 04:54 PM
Smokin Joe: I've put a bunch of radar links, satellite, sounding data, etc.. all up on this page:

http://www.ontariostorms.com/showthread.php?t=68

(that's the page I have bookmarked to use to follow storms)

davefootball123
06-11-2010, 08:24 PM
The way i do it is capes radar and depoints as well as temps. Areas near the coldfornt or warmfornt