PDA

View Full Version : July.22.08 Waterloo supercell

Derecho
03-19-2010, 04:10 PM
Around 7pm on July 22, 2008 a supercell thunderstorm developed over Wellington County and pushed southeastward into Waterloo Region. I was not expecting this storm at all, was watching a movie when the weather radio blared a severe thunderstorm warning. I looked out the window and was surprised to see such a symmetrical classic supercell moving in. I grabbed my camera and ran across the road to the highway retaining wall and snapped quick photos.

I ran back to the house once the storm was nearly overhead, snapping quick photos before the rain. In the one photo you can see a large swirl in in the storm. No idea what it was, but it was rotating. In all, the storm just brushed my neighbourhood. On the west side of the city, strong winds felled trees and caused flash flooding. Reports of hail up to quarter and loonie size were reported, though only pea size hail fell at my location. There was also local talk of a funnel cloud days after the storm, but no official report was ever made.

Anyway, enjoy!

DarkSky
03-19-2010, 05:21 PM
Nice shots! I love those ones where you look out your window and there's those low dark clouds just 'hanging' above the ground, always looking like they're going to develop into something more. We get those here all the time coming in from across the lake, and when the air goes over the warm ground it tends to make for some very interesting cloud formations. 'Love those ones.

Derecho
03-19-2010, 08:16 PM
Nice shots! I love those ones where you look out your window and there's those low dark clouds just 'hanging' above the ground, always looking like they're going to develop into something more. We get those here all the time coming in from across the lake, and when the air goes over the warm ground it tends to make for some very interesting cloud formations. 'Love those ones.

Scud or something?

DarkSky
03-20-2010, 12:43 PM
Scud or something?

Nah, scud are detached from the cloud base. I was just referring to the ones like in your photos, where the main cloud base has those 'tentacles' hanging down from them. 'Love those kind :)

Derecho
03-21-2010, 03:29 PM
Nah, scud are detached from the cloud base. I was just referring to the ones like in your photos, where the main cloud base has those 'tentacles' hanging down from them. 'Love those kind :)

Moisture being pulled into the storm?? :cool:

Can't remember the proper term for the life of me. I just recently dusted off my severe weather interest. Those formations are really neat, in Florida last year a line of storms came in off the Atlantic into Daytona and it had the same features. Real low hanging clouds twisting and spinning from the base of the storm down to the water.

ontariolightning
04-06-2010, 05:55 PM
sweet capture

SlideShowBob
04-06-2010, 08:30 PM
Nice Pics!