PDA

View Full Version : If everyone could add their location to their signature, 'twould be great

DarkSky
03-10-2010, 04:14 PM
If everyone could click the Settings link on the top left, then go down to Edit Signature and just enter your Town, Province/State that would be helpful. 'Just so we know what part of the globe people are posting from :)

Derecho
03-15-2010, 01:53 PM
Waterloo here!

SlideShowBob
03-18-2010, 11:38 AM
No Problemo!

Rayleigh
03-31-2010, 08:27 AM
I currently live in Halifax, Nova Scotia but I am shortly moving to Waterloo to study (you guessed it) severe weather.

DarkSky
03-31-2010, 09:49 AM
I currently live in Halifax, Nova Scotia but I am shortly moving to Waterloo to study (you guessed it) severe weather.

Hopefully you'll be here in time for the storm season! And if these 20C temperatures stick around, it won't be long now! :)

Rayleigh
03-31-2010, 11:05 AM
I am really looking forward to it. I've loved thunderstorms ever since I was a little girl, and the thought of being that close to Canada's lightning capital makes me very excited.

Derecho
03-31-2010, 02:50 PM
I am really looking forward to it. I've loved thunderstorms ever since I was a little girl, and the thought of being that close to Canada's lightning capital makes me very excited.

Are you studying meteorology at the universities?

Rayleigh
03-31-2010, 04:02 PM
I'm studying geography, actually! I'm examining the atmospheric processes and the public's perception of severe weather. I don't have my thesis topic hammered out yet, but I hope to study tornadoes. That would be choice!

Derecho
03-31-2010, 06:00 PM
I'm studying geography, actually! I'm examining the atmospheric processes and the public's perception of severe weather. I don't have my thesis topic hammered out yet, but I hope to study tornadoes. That would be choice!

That's pretty cool. You'll be surprisingly disappointed by the severe weather in Waterloo :D . We don't get much. It magically dives northeast or southeast before it hits us. Or, it fizzles or a squall line will break and Waterloo ends up right in the gap. Mighty frustrating! Though, when we finally get a severe storm nature doesn't disappoint.

Some local takes on severe weather I've encountered is people call storms by the Fujita scale. Eg. "Did you see that F4 thunderstorm last night? Those were some pretty intense F4 rains". or there's the ol' "hey look a severe thunderstorm warning and black thundering clouds about to hit, this is a good time to take my baby for a stroll or go to the grocery store"

I'm being serious, too. :p

DarkSky
03-31-2010, 08:43 PM
The worst severe weather stopper is customs at the US/Canada border. Many times a nice squall or isolated cell will be on its way into southern Ontario, only to be denied entry at the border, where the storms pitter out. Hopefully this year customs will be more lax on it's storm policy and will allow more into the province!

Derecho
03-31-2010, 10:11 PM
The worst severe weather stopper is customs at the US/Canada border. Many times a nice squall or isolated cell will be on its way into southern Ontario, only to be denied entry at the border, where the storms pitter out. Hopefully this year customs will be more lax on it's storm policy and will allow more into the province!

ROFL! So true. Amazing how the USA will let the storms re-enter in Buffalo no problem. Cleveland, too.

Slacker
04-14-2010, 02:00 PM
Reporting in from Windsor/Essex County.

DarkSky
04-14-2010, 03:44 PM
Reporting in from Windsor/Essex County.

Welcome to the board Slacker! 'Great to have someone down that neck of the woods.

Slacker
04-14-2010, 05:10 PM
Welcome to the board Slacker! 'Great to have someone down that neck of the woods.

I'm surprised that more people don't do any spotting or chasing down here, the land is completely flat here, it's great for seeing storms from far away.

xxCanuck
04-14-2010, 11:07 PM
hey guys, I'm fairly new to this. Love storms. From Mississauga.