View Full Version : July 4, 2003 - Tornado at Goose Lake

02-16-2010, 08:40 PM
2003 - July 4th
<center> Twister at Goose Lake
The following information courtesy of Vic Fazekas and Bill Coppen (http://www.loonhaunt.com/).
<hr></center> On Friday July 4/2003 a little after 1:00 PM, a series of severe thunder storms passed through the Goose lake area. As part of this storm system, a twister developed just south of Nechigona Lake and tracked east crossing Goose Lake about 2 miles south of our camp. The path was very straight and ended at Mamakwash Falls. Although we were spared the twister experience, we did get several severe thunderstoms and gold ball size hail stones which did serious damage to our cabin roofs.
The twister started on the south side of the first lake south of Nechigona and ended at Mamakwash Falls
http://www.ontariostorms.com/2003/jul4/Twistermap_small.jpg (http://www.ontariostorms.com/2003/jul4/Twistermap.jpg) http://www.ontariostorms.com/2003/jul4/Twisterstart_small.jpg (http://www.ontariostorms.com/2003/jul4/Twisterstart.jpg)
The starting point
http://www.ontariostorms.com/2003/jul4/Twisterfinnish_small.jpg (http://www.ontariostorms.com/2003/jul4/Twisterfinnish.jpg)
The end point
http://www.ontariostorms.com/2003/jul4/twistertrack_small.jpg (http://www.ontariostorms.com/2003/jul4/twistertrack.jpg)
The track
http://www.ontariostorms.com/2003/jul4/Twistercrossgoose_small.jpg (http://www.ontariostorms.com/2003/jul4/Twistercrossgoose.jpg)
Crossing Goose Lake
http://www.ontariostorms.com/2003/jul4/Twisterknoll_small.jpg (http://www.ontariostorms.com/2003/jul4/Twisterknoll.jpg) http://www.ontariostorms.com/2003/jul4/Twistertrees1_small.jpg (http://www.ontariostorms.com/2003/jul4/Twistertrees1.jpg) http://www.ontariostorms.com/2003/jul4/Twistertrees2_small.jpg (http://www.ontariostorms.com/2003/jul4/Twistertrees2.jpg)

2 Miles north of track at Goose Lake
http://www.ontariostorms.com/2003/jul4/hail1_small.jpg (http://www.ontariostorms.com/2003/jul4/hail1.jpg) http://www.ontariostorms.com/2003/jul4/hail2_small.jpg (http://www.ontariostorms.com/2003/jul4/hail2.jpg) http://www.ontariostorms.com/2003/jul4/hail3_small.jpg (http://www.ontariostorms.com/2003/jul4/hail3.jpg)

Yes there were people out fishing during the strom.
Hi Bill and Louise! I just had to write a note to tell you that we had a trip that we'll never forget. We came with our friends Bob and Karen Newstrom from Duluth, MN. Not only was the fishing fantastic( 29 inch Walleye) but the hospitality was wonderful. Thankyou Louise for starting the stove after the tornado and thank you Bill for coming to our rescue after the storm. I thought that we would write a short story about what happened the day of the storm.
We got a late start after having a big breakfast on the fourthof July. I wanted to show
Bob and Karen the Upper falls and we wanted to have "shore lunch" on the small island near the the mouth of the river. We couldn't catch a fish for nothing,(we had caught 50 the night before). We could see that it might rain but we were going to tough it out with our rain gear (we came here to fish right?)
We kept watching the clouds, and they started getting ominous looking. We were too far from camp to chance a run home sooo!
Karen said those clouds are moving in two different directions and I think we're going to have a twister!!!
Bob is a very capable outdoorsman and figured that the mainland was the safest place to go, so he headed there. I, on the other hand, watched as he headed right at the storm, so We(Dottie andI) went to the island.
Dottie and I had a perfect vantage point to watch the tornado form, touch down, jump the south bay, and come dowm directly behind our friends. But we couldn't watch long because we saw what was coming!!!
A million hailballs, some as big as handballs. I got hit a couple times in the arms and I knew we were in grave danger. Luckily for us there was some old plywood on the island. This plywood might have saved our lives. We were pummeled for 15 minutes under that plywood and then the rain started to pour. We waited for a while, till the rain let up a little, and went out to try to see our friends.
We used my binoculars and could not locate them.
It started to hail again again, this time marble size, but they still sting!
So back under the plywood we went.
We waited out the hail and again the torrential rain.
We went out to look again and we could spot their boat on shore, but nobody in sight.
Once again the hail and rain, and back under the plywood.
Again we thought we could go back out. It looked like it was letting up. We decided we were going to go look for our friends , so I got in the boat and Dottie started to push us out.
The hail started again and We used our boat cushions to protect us until we got back under the plywood. And we waited for the rain and hail to subside.
After a short time we got out but it was still rainig pretty good. We decided that it was time to try again. Well, we got across the water and found our friends OK, karen had got hit by hail, but the pine trees had protected them pretty well.
Now the problem was that Bob couldn't start his motor.
We decided to tow the boat by anchor rope and pray that more hail and rain and tornado would not return. Thank God it didn't and Bill came to the rescue.
Bill got the motor running and we headed home.I
I remember getting in the cabin and the fire was going. Again I thankyou Louise!!!!
WE warmed up and talked about how blessed we were to survive unscathed except for a few bruises and wet cold bodies.
It was about 4 pm and after all that hail I thought we'd have to wait till tomorro to catch any fish.
Again I was wrong because Bob and I ventured out again, and that 4th of July night I caught the biggest walleye I had ever caught- 29 inches.
Later that evening I was sitting with our group contemplating the day and I said "what a day !!!!! Was that a nice fish!! Karen Newstrom just looked at me and laughed in wonderment.My fish over a tornado,hail, lighting, and towing a boat inthrough a storm.
Kinda funny how men think,HUH???
We're gonna do it again!!!!!!!! Dottie and Jim
<hr> Severe Storms hit London, On
(The following story from the London Free Press)
Storm slams city

* Snapped utility poles on Wonderland Road trap drivers. * Funnel clouds spotted in parts of London and in Windsor. * Emergency crews deluged with calls to trouble spots across London.
KELLY PEDRO, AND HANK DANISZEWSKI (hdaniszewski@<hidden>), Free Press Reporters <!-- End Author -->
A lightning-quick storm trapped drivers under hydro lines, snarled traffic and downed trees across London, closed a shopping centre and stretched emergency services to the limit yesterday. The half-hour storm, marked by intense downpours of rain and hail and sightings of funnel clouds, wreaked havoc throughout London:
- Drivers on Wonderland Road South were trapped for almost an hour under live power lines after gusting winds about 3:30 p.m. snapped or toppled 12 utility poles.
"All of the poles just came cascading down," said Eric Monaco, trapped in a minivan for 45 minutes. "It just got so dark and the wind was really bad. It's pure Hollywood. I couldn't believe it."
- Traffic on major roads, including Wonderland and Hamilton roads and Colborne and York streets was snarled because of power outages.
"Flip a coin," Staff Sgt. Peter Glen said, about problems in the city. "We've had them scattered throughout the city."
- Funnel clouds were reported in Westmount, east London, the community of Ivan north of London and in Windsor.
"It was the most bizarre thing I ever saw -- a sort of golden yellow colour," said Michele Carter, who was in the Loblaws parking lot at Wonderland and Southdale roads when she spotted a funnel cloud. "It blew me right off my feet."
- London police received a record number of 911 calls, 80, in five minutes. "Something very strong went through the Wonderland-Commissioners area," Glen said. "It's probably the most number of 911 calls I've ever seen at one time . . . We were stretched to the limit."
- Dozens of trees were damaged or destroyed and power lines toppled in east London along Hamilton Road and Trafalgar Street. "I just thought, 'Oh my God,' " said Stacey Charter, of 9 Pegler St., when a tree fell into her backyard.
- Westmount Shopping Centre was evacuated and closed shortly after 3:30 p.m,. Officials hoped it would re-open today.
London Hydro officials said 12 utility poles were lifted out of the ground or broken in Westmount.
Of about 12,000 customers left without power by the weather, 5,000 -- mostly in the Westmount area -- were still out at press time, said Nancy Hutton, the utility's communications manager.
"(Crews are) still working on it, so we hope to bring more customers back on through the night," she said.
Hydro One said about 7,000 customers in rural Middlesex, Elgin, Oxford, Huron and Perth counties were without power.
About 3,000 Chatham-Kent Energy customers also were without power yesterday morning. Police across the region said no serious injuries were reported, but damage was extensive.
Two transport drivers were hurt after their trucks collided on Highway 401 east near Colonel Talbot Road.
The OPP couldn't confirm witness reports a large brown dust cloud blew over the highway and caused the crash.
And Environment Canada would not confirm reports of funnel clouds touching down.
The agency's afternoon storm warning advised of winds gusting to 110 kilometres an hour.
The storm was caused by a relatively weak cold front moving east from Michigan that shifted winds from south to west, said Andre Cyr of Environment Canada.
Temperatures plunged to 22 degrees from 34 as the storm passed, then climbed again quickly. Even so, the storm blew out a three-day smog advisory that had city emergency rooms busy.
The OPP received reports of downed trees on Nine and Ten Mile roads and Wonderland to Richmond streets north of London, said Western Region Sgt. Dave Rektor.
At Ivan, on Nairn Road north of Lobo, a large maple tree and a 100-year-old apple tree were downed by winds.
"The wind went right around the house," said homeowner Richard Oosterhoff. "It was definitely in a funnel of some sort. I was getting ready to dive into the basement."
In Ilderton, the top of the chimney at the Floral Temptations store on the community's main street was sheared off by a falling branch.
"The wind was very strong," said Karen Kennedy. "The trees were just sideways."
There's a 40-per-cent chance of more rain today in London, with scattered showers developing in the afternoon. The high is expected to reach 29.
Copyright The London Free Press 2001,2002,2003