PDA

View Full Version : July 19th 2013, the big day!

tice23
07-19-2013, 07:59 AM
Hey everyone, I'm sure many of us are just waiting for today to unfold. What's on the plate?

well take a look at the SPC, We have high probabilities for severe weather for all of southern ontario, and some northern, Tornado probabilities in the 5% range, wind probabilities 30% and hail 15%. There is a long squal line already getting organized and it should sustain itself all day if their numbers don't lie.

Why am I so excited and sound like a sports caster? Well the last time i remember numbers like this was probably close to the 2009 outbreak, but i don't remember if certain regions hit the 10% level with the significant tornado parameter, certainly dont see a blanket of southern Ontario like this very often.

Watches are already up for portions of ontario for severe thunderstorms.

Do you think a tornado watch will be issued? or if it should?
Any guesses as to when and where this system will hit hardest?
Who's going out to snap some pictures today?

Maps:

Here are the archived SPC maps for the day. the NWS responds very quickly with helpful info.

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/outlook/archive/2013/day1otlk_20130719_1200.html

Mesocyclone97
07-19-2013, 08:13 AM
Tice, this definitely does look like the Outbreak of 2009, possibly even worse. We have something big in store, at least I hope. During that outbreak, Tornadic circulation passed within a few hundred yards of my home, so definitely excited for today (so long as my house isn't damaged :P ).

tice23
07-19-2013, 10:13 AM
Interesting observation i just had. im looking at the cells that are forming along the cold front: they are traveling at very quick speeds, close to 70km/h or more in some cases. the angle of the front should make it an interesting north west to south east chase since chasing a 70km/h storm without breaking all the rules is pretty tough if you cant travel parallel to it. The challenge becomes when and where to set up....

I'm thinking i'll start west of collingwood in the bruce-grey area, then zig zag south east as best i can.

WayfaringStranger
07-19-2013, 10:22 AM
First warning of the day

Manitoulin Island
10:13 AM EDT Friday 19 July 2013
Severe thunderstorm warning for
Manitoulin Island continued

At 10:00 EDT, meteorologists are tracking a line of severe thunderstorms capable of producing large hail, damaging winds and heavy downpours. There is also the risk for a tornado.

Communities in the path include: Killarnery, Britt and Tobermory.

Thunderbolt
07-19-2013, 10:28 AM
I was very excited for this squall line but then or course....
http://i44.tinypic.com/30xhn9t.gif

http://i43.tinypic.com/2cnxves.gif

EC just issued a warning for North Bay - West Nipissing

http://i39.tinypic.com/bgtjcg.gif

WayfaringStranger
07-19-2013, 10:32 AM
Warning just issued for: Bayfield Inlet - Dunchurch South River - Burk's Falls - Town of Parry Sound - Rosseau - Killbear Park - Bruce Peninsula - Sauble Beach - Tobermory

At 10:00 EDT, meteorologists are tracking a line of severe thunderstorms capable of producing large hail, damaging winds and heavy downpours. There is also the risk for a tornado.

Thunderbolt
07-19-2013, 10:52 AM
Tornado watch issued in eastern Ontario

EDIT: Tornado warning issued for West Nipissing - French River and Bayfield Inlet - Dunchurch

tice23
07-19-2013, 11:31 AM
now im torn, the excitement is starting north, but thres so much potential in the south, north is more difficult to chase but looks to be opening up sooner....darn.

SlideShowBob
07-19-2013, 11:36 AM
Tornado watch for Barrie...hasn't been updated on website, but the local forecast page stated it

SlideShowBob
07-19-2013, 11:38 AM
this is certainly going to be an active day. Stay safe everyone!

Thunderbolt
07-19-2013, 11:41 AM
This is the forecast for West Nipissing. It's been like that for about half an hour and no upgrade to tornado watch yet. Maybe its a glitch?

http://i44.tinypic.com/im58ap.png

tice23
07-19-2013, 11:46 AM
well im staying put on georgian bay and waiting for the big squall to arrive, i know there's good tornadic potential north of me but chasing through algonquin is uncharted and very forested areas, i don't want to get stranded, this should give me good incoming time lapse shots over the bay. as the afternoon develops i might jump on the 400SB to get to the action closer to the GTA, and maybe run it as far east as Oshawa, or south to st Catherine's depending on where I am at what time.

Wish me luck. I'll update if i spot anything crazy.

Mesocyclone97
07-19-2013, 12:57 PM
Been watching a line of weak thunderstorm cells moving across Michigan, they appear to be struggling to fire up with weak convergence along the front. Been thinking they may strengthen when reaching Southern Ontario, any thoughts?

bobrown14
07-19-2013, 01:10 PM
Hi folks,
Bob Brown here sitting on my front porch looking up the lake from my cottage toward Bancroft. A little intro - got my feet wet with severe weather in July 95 when the derecho came thru here. That experience got my attention watching clouds and monitoring weather ever since.

I've been watching this event with much anticipation.

What I see now are cumulus clouds with the tops being blown off and moving VERY fast from the southwest, nothing severe yet even tho we are in a tornado watch. It's still very warm even with winds at 20-30/km, and the humidity is building. Barometric pressure is at 29.2 and falling indicating severe weather is coming. Ironically Hydo was just here on the island inspecting out lines and pole, they told us of tornados further west/north of here near Barrie. It's going to be a very interesting day for weather for sure. We've got our camera ready and will report back.. Everybody stay safe!

Cheers,
Bob Brown

DarkSky
07-19-2013, 01:11 PM
TORNADO WARNING:

Emailed to you at: Fri, 19 Jul 2013 10:54:58 -0400
WFCN11 CWTO 191454
TORNADO WARNING
ISSUED BY ENVIRONMENT CANADA
AT 10:54 AM EDT FRIDAY 19 JULY 2013.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
TORNADO WARNING FOR:
=NEW= BAYFIELD INLET - DUNCHURCH.

TORNADO WARNING - UPGRADED FROM A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR:
BAYFIELD INLET - DUNCHURCH.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
==DISCUSSION==
UPDATED OR ENDED BY 11:30 AM EDT.

AT 10:50 EDT METEOROLOGISTS ARE TRACKING A DANGEROUS THUNDERSTORM
THAT IS MAY BE PRODUCING A TORNADO.

COMMUNITIES IN THE PATH INCLUDE: STILL RIVER

THIS IS A DANGEROUS AND POTENTIALLY LIFE-THREATENING SITUATION.

EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT ONTARIO RECOMMENDS THAT YOU TAKE COVER
IMMEDIATELY, IF THREATENING WEATHER APPROACHES.

GO INDOORS TO A ROOM ON THE LOWEST FLOOR, AWAY FROM OUTSIDE WALLS
AND WINDOWS, SUCH AS A BASEMENT, BATHROOM, STAIRWELL OR INTERIOR
CLOSET. LEAVE MOBILE HOMES, VEHICLES, TENTS, TRAILERS AND OTHER
TEMPORARY OR FREE-STANDING SHELTER, AND MOVE TO A STRONG BUILDING IF
YOU CAN. AS A LAST RESORT, LIE IN A LOW SPOT AND PROTECT YOUR HEAD
FROM FLYING DEBRIS.

IF YOU HEAR A ROARING SOUND OR SEE A FUNNEL CLOUD, SWIRLING DEBRIS
NEAR THE GROUND, FLYING DEBRIS, OR ANY THREATENING WEATHER
APPROACHING, TAKE SHELTER IMMEDIATELY.

FOR MORE INFORMATION:
http://www.emergencymanagementontario.ca/ENGLISH/BEPREPARED/BEPREPARED.HTML

ENVIRONMENT CANADA CONTINUES TO MONITOR THE SITUATION CLOSELY. STAY
TUNED TO YOUR LOCAL MEDIA OR WEATHERADIO FOR FURTHER UPDATES. IF YOU
WOULD LIKE TO REPORT SEVERE WEATHER, YOU CAN SEND AN EMAIL TO
STORM.ONTARIO(AT)EC.GC.CA.

END/SPC

Thunderbolt
07-19-2013, 01:54 PM
Someone caught a funnel cloud in Sturgeon Falls. Some damage reported around North Bay.

http://www.600ckat.com/files/storm-July19.jpg

http://www.600ckat.com/2013/07/19/damages-reported-after-intense-storm-friday-morning/

benjaminblizzard
07-19-2013, 02:47 PM
There is some indication that Callander, ON may have declared a State of Emergency (Twitter reports). I'll update this when I have a more solid source.

Edit: Photos indicate that a tornado probably touched down. Trees snapped, uprooted.

benjaminblizzard
07-19-2013, 02:59 PM
A new tornado warning is up:

Midland - Coldwater - Orr Lake
2:55 PM EDT Friday 19 July 2013
Tornado warning for
Midland - Coldwater - Orr Lake upgraded from Severe thunderstorm warning

A report has been received of a tornado near Highway 27 and Horseshoe Valley Road.

This is a dangerous and potentially life-threatening situation.

[...]

Updated or ended by 3:30 PM EDT.

Thunderbolt
07-19-2013, 03:00 PM
There is some indication that Callander, ON may have declared a State of Emergency (Twitter reports). I'll update this when I have a more solid source.

Edit: Photos indicate that a tornado probably touched down. Trees snapped, uprooted.

Yeah a radio station tweeted that Callander and the township of East Ferris are under a state of emergency

WayfaringStranger
07-19-2013, 03:03 PM
Tornado Warning for: Owen Sound - Blue Mountains - Northern Grey County - Port Carling - Port Severn - Midland - Coldwater - Orr Lake

A report has been received of a tornado near Highway 27 and Horseshoe Valley Road.

Emergency Management Ontario recommends that you take cover immediately, if threatening weather approaches.

Go indoors to a room on the lowest floor, away from outside walls and windows, such as a basement, bathroom, stairwell or interior closet. Leave mobile homes, vehicles, tents, trailers and other temporary or free-standing shelter, and move to a strong building if you can. As a last resort, lie in a low spot and protect your head from flying debris.

Tornadoes are likely wrapped in rain and may not be visible. Do not wait to see a funnel cloud.

For more information:
http://www.emergencymanagementontario.ca/english/beprepared/beprepared.html .

Environment Canada continues to monitor the situation closely. Stay tuned to your local media or Weatheradio for further updates. If you would like to report severe weather, you can send an email to storm.ontario@<hidden>.

Updated or ended by 3:30 PM EDT.

bobrown14
07-19-2013, 03:29 PM
Storm getting more organized.

here's some pics and I can hear thunder now.

Cheers,
Bob Brown

benjaminblizzard
07-19-2013, 03:30 PM
I'm beginning to think all of the action may miss Toronto :(

Reffik
07-19-2013, 03:35 PM
I'm beginning to think all of the action may miss Toronto :(

Give it time; our storms are still out over Lake Huron...and they look big.

tice23
07-19-2013, 03:55 PM
Just checking in real quick, I just drove through gravenhurst. possible F1 tornado, lucky it missed me. 20m wide trees cut 3m up, lots of strewn constuction signs, road signs etc. May have been multiple tornadoes.

DarkSky
07-19-2013, 04:26 PM
Quick note to all posting pictures: please include in the post WHERE they are from :) Even if you posted earlier in the thread. Many people (especially me) can't remember everything from previous posts :D

SlideShowBob
07-19-2013, 04:35 PM
Round one is done in Barrie (southwest end of town). I posted a cheesy video of it. I think I need a new camera.

Reffik
07-19-2013, 05:00 PM
From my office, an accident at 401 and Winston Churchill has closed the eastbound lanes; the storm developing over Guelph will have a captive audience.

SlideShowBob
07-19-2013, 05:04 PM
Round two is starting up. Seems like more lightning in this cell....

benjaminblizzard
07-19-2013, 05:14 PM
Some pics I got from the roof of my building of the storm that just passed north of Toronto. These photos are looking toward Yonge-Sheppard and the Sheppard subway line.

WayfaringStranger
07-19-2013, 05:42 PM
Tornado warning for: Orangeville - Grand Valley - Southern Dufferin County - Shelburne - Mansfield - Northern Dufferin County - Innisfil - New Tecumseth - Angus - Newmarket - Georgina - Northern York Region

At 5:30 EDT, a funnel cloud has been reported just southwest of Bradford associated with a line of storms moving southward across Dufferin and northern York region.

benjaminblizzard
07-19-2013, 05:47 PM
Just got very dark here; rain's started, cannon thunder. Took some photos and video. Very strong winds.

Edit: Geeze! Just when I thought it couldn't get any darker, it did! May as well be night.

Anspray
07-19-2013, 06:07 PM
GTA is getting pounded. What do you think will happen here in Windsor??

benjaminblizzard
07-19-2013, 06:07 PM
JESUS CHRIST. Funnel cloud! I got caught on my balcony as this line of storms moved in. Suddenly it came up out of nowhere - objects flying, people screaming. All three of my doors slammed shut (and they swing different ways). Very scary.

Smokin Joe
07-19-2013, 06:09 PM

I have a few pics from today

obwan
07-19-2013, 06:15 PM
Brantford is in for a beauty

Reffik
07-19-2013, 06:24 PM
JESUS CHRIST. Funnel cloud! I got caught on my balcony as this line of storms moved in. Suddenly it came up out of nowhere - objects flying, people screaming. All three of my doors slammed shut (and they swing different ways). Very scary.

Yay, we didn't get missed :)

Smokin Joe
07-19-2013, 06:24 PM

The last photos were from canal road and 400 around 5pm
This one is from east of angus looking north I thought this may be a wall cloud?

This was the main event moving into bradford from the canal road looking northeast

This is the rain free base from my house in Bradford around the time the funnel was spotted. It was pretty eerie

I started in Angus and worked my way southeast. Wish I could have let it slam me up north but I wouldn't have got the storms down here

WayfaringStranger
07-19-2013, 06:30 PM
Tornado warning for: Brantford - County of Brant - Dunnville - Caledonia - Haldimand 6:27 PM EDT Friday 19 July 2013

WayfaringStranger
07-19-2013, 06:42 PM
Tornado warning for City of Hamilton

At 18:20 EDT, radar shows a thunderstorm that may be producing a tornado near the Grand River near Brantford. The storm is moving eastward at 60 km/h.

Emergency Management Ontario recommends that you take cover immediately, if threatening weather approaches.

Go indoors to a room on the lowest floor, away from outside walls and windows, such as a basement, bathroom, stairwell or interior closet. Leave mobile homes, vehicles, tents, trailers and other temporary or free-standing shelter, and move to a strong building if you can. As a last resort, lie in a low spot and protect your head from flying debris.

Tornadoes are likely wrapped in rain and may not be visible. Do not wait to see a funnel cloud.

For more information:

Environment Canada continues to monitor the situation closely. Stay tuned to your local media or Weatheradio for further updates. If you would like to report severe weather, you can send an email to storm.ontario@<hidden>.

Updated or ended by 7:00 PM EDT.

Nagii
07-19-2013, 06:47 PM
came downstairs and watch the wind almost carry my chair cushions and BBQ cover over the fence. Wind and Rain right now in Northern St. Catharines.

EDIT: The lady on the weather network just said that the entire Niagara Region is also under a Tornado warning o_O

WayfaringStranger
07-19-2013, 06:56 PM
New Tornado warning

Niagara Falls - Welland - Southern Niagara Region
6:51 PM EDT Friday 19 July 2013
Tornado warning for
Niagara Falls - Welland - Southern Niagara Region upgraded from Severe thunderstorm warning

At 18:40 EDT, radar shows a thunderstorm that may be producing a tornado near Stoney Creek and a second west of Hamiltoni. The storms is moving eastward at 60 km/h.

For more information:

Updated or ended by 7:30 PM EDT.

DarkSky
07-19-2013, 07:02 PM
Very nice storm front passing through at 6:30PM (St. Catharines)

Saw an *awesome* wind eddy/vortex passing over the water!!! Probably about 30ft wide and moving FAST across the water. Shot below. I got a bit of it on video which I'll post tomorrow.

Large tree branch snapped RIGHT in front of us across the street (50ft away!) on a big maple tree. 'Think I got it on video. Will post tomorrow if I did. The crack of the branch had my gf and myself jumping back, that's for sure.

http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/5748/sd16.jpg

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/5945/ylci.jpg

Nagii
07-19-2013, 07:02 PM
Ain't doing much in Northern St. catharines right now

DarkSky
07-19-2013, 07:06 PM
Ain't doing much in Northern St. catharines right now

Not right now (7pm) but it was GREAT just after 6:30 !! I went down to the lake and grabbed a bunch of shots and video.

There's a NICE cell on the tail-end of this system that's passing through that should hit us in about 30 mins!

http://www.wunderground.com/radar/radblast.asp?num=6&delay=15&scale=1&noclutter=0&ID=BUF&type=N0R&MR=1

DarkSky
07-19-2013, 07:10 PM
TORNADO WARNING FOR ST. CATHARINES

St. Catharines - Grimsby - Northern Niagara Region
6:51 PM EDT Friday 19 July 2013
Tornado warning for
St. Catharines - Grimsby - Northern Niagara Region upgraded from Severe thunderstorm warning

At 18:40 EDT, radar shows a thunderstorm that may be producing a tornado near Stoney Creek and a second west of Hamiltoni. The storms is moving eastward at 60 km/h.

For more information:

Environment Canada continues to monitor the situation closely. Stay tuned to your local media or Weatheradio for further updates. If you would like to report severe weather, you can send an email to storm.ontario@<hidden>

Updated or ended by 7:30 PM EDT.

benjaminblizzard
07-19-2013, 07:15 PM
Some photos of the mammatus clouds at the back end of the storm that came over Toronto.

stormy kid
07-19-2013, 07:15 PM
Man i got 3 tornado warnings in 2 days .. sweet ! Another thing i got a lightning pic with a cellphone camera :) great day ... looks like more cells are forming off of lake Huron

Nagii
07-19-2013, 07:19 PM
mm... slightly dark again towards Scott Street in northern st. catharines, minor lightning and thunder, not so dark, yellow hue skies over the lake

Nagii
07-19-2013, 07:32 PM
its windy, rainy, minor lighting and thunder so meh

benjaminblizzard
07-19-2013, 07:48 PM
Another, much tamer cell rolling through, while the previous storms roll out.

Edit: I take back the 'tamer' claim. Apparently these cells are responsible for the tornado warning from Brampton, Mississauga, et al?

Anspray
07-19-2013, 07:53 PM
Just starting up here in Windsor...loud thunder, some lightening and brief down pour.

Nagii
07-19-2013, 08:25 PM
Right now the sky is a mix. Towards the like it's yellow with spotted dark marve clouds. Towards Scott, it's bright blue. Then down the centre (down Linwell) it's dark blue with lower lighter clouds randomly moving underneath. Very light wind, some thunder but sparse, barely any lightning and no rain.

Mesocyclone97
07-19-2013, 08:40 PM
Getting some very nice Mammatus here in Vaughan at the back end of the storms Anvil, will probably upload pics later (pictures were taken on a tablet, USB cable appears not to be working).

Nagii
07-19-2013, 08:46 PM
Still thundering out, more frequently then in the last few hours. More like someone pushing something along the floor of a hollow out steel room and having a hard time with it.

Anspray
07-19-2013, 09:07 PM
Best I could do tonight folks..lol
http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m589/OneQwkStang/20130719_204803_zpsf7d89e5b.jpg

DarkSky
07-19-2013, 09:12 PM
ST. CATHARINES IS GETTING ABSOLUTELY *POUNDED* RIGHT NOW.

Continuous thunder/lightning that's been ongoing for the last 30mins, strong winds, torrential rains. Strongest storm I've seen in years and judging from radar loop it's going to keep up for quite awhile still.

70,000 FT CLOUD TOPS! I have *never* seen that on this radar image in my LIFE! And I've been using that service to monitor even the storms down in Oklahoma, Kansas, Texas, etc.

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/6784/gsks.jpg

benjaminblizzard
07-19-2013, 09:36 PM
That explains the light show then! At least 6 strikes per minute - I initially thought it was a storm over the lake.

obwan
07-19-2013, 09:58 PM
great light show here in thororld, storms now appear to be training along the escarpment back to Hamilton.

Had a good evening, started in Rockway, then travelled to St. Anne's and saw a great hail core. then down to Vineland and Charles Daley park saw some 3" branches down along the way. great shots along the lake with rotation and mamatus.

great night when you can spend 4hrs chasing three different storms all within 40kms of home.

DarkSky
07-19-2013, 10:09 PM
Continuous non-stop lightning/thunder in St. Catharines. Went 15mins where there was no blackness of night. Continually lit by lightning. Tree across the road had large branch snap and collapse onto power line. Power line arcing all over the place. Fire fighters showed up for 20mins, scoped the situation, sprayed down the big maple tree, left.

Going to be a MESS of a clean up all over the city tomorrow.

Lots of pictures/videos to come later this weekend.

Thank gawd for an f1.8 lens to shoot at night!

SlideShowBob
07-19-2013, 10:43 PM
Continuous non-stop lightning/thunder in St. Catharines. Went 15mins where there was no blackness of night. Continually lit by lightning. Tree across the road had large branch snap and collapse onto power line. Power line arcing all over the place. Fire fighters showed up for 20mins, scoped the situation, sprayed down the big maple tree, left.

Going to be a MESS of a clean up all over the city tomorrow.

Lots of pictures/videos to come later this weekend.

Thank gawd for an f1.8 lens to shoot at night!

It seems this was a very good day for storms. Unfortunatley, so far, one person was killed in Quebec that I know of at this point.

I am amazed at the power and dynamics that occured today in my neck of the woods. We were aware that this would happen earlier this week, and it delivered. There still seems to be a bit of energy left as of this post (10:38 p.m.) so maybe a good lightshow later on?

No more deaths...no more injuries...lets hope for a quick clean-up and power restoration for those who endured Mother Nature today. I look forward to all the upcoming pics and vids of this date. Cheers!:D

Quick question DarkSky...was the recent storm part of the 70k top that you posted earlier?

WayfaringStranger
07-19-2013, 10:48 PM
Just a few photos I took earlier today.

benjaminblizzard
07-19-2013, 10:57 PM
Light thunderstorm here right now. Lots of lightning, don't hear any thunder though.

DarkSky
07-19-2013, 11:06 PM
Quick question DarkSky...was the recent storm part of the 70k top that you posted earlier?

No the shots I posted earlier were from a smaller (yet still massive) 55,000ft storm. The 70k storm that JUST finished was absolutely awe-inspiring. Not as many photos as it occurred at night, but I should have some good time lapse videos of the storm clouds, as well as some night video of all the lightning. LOTS of pics/videos to go through tomorrow. But first thing tomorrow, I'll be driving around shooting more pics/video of any damage.

The power line going to my house which runs to the house across the street, is now sagging low in the air above the street, and has another line coming off it which is hanging down on to my neighbor's driveway.

And the other line on that same neighbor's house, is still laying inside a large maple tree on his lawn, and is arcing and sending hot embers down. It's been doing this for 2hrs now.

More to come in the new day.

tice23
07-19-2013, 11:18 PM
What a crazy day!

Finally back home after chasing for almost nine hours with hardly a break. I'll give you the story, then pictures and video later as i upload them I have a lot so it may take a few days.

Here's the short story
Depart midland at 12:45
2-3pm hwy 118 & 35 erie clouds, lots of shear, decide to change position so i don't get cut off by the storm
2-3pm hwy 118 find out i moved too late, get caught in the storm, almost drove under a possible rain wrapped funnel (have to confirm on video) trees down accross hwy, 1 large tree snapped.
2-3pm hwy 11 Gravenhurst. trees snapped, uprooted, road signs snapped, construction cones all over the hwy, 20m wide swath of mature pines snapped off clean at 3m with clear indication of a vortex on surrounding trees, damage may have been caused by multiple tornadic events as damage paths were as much as 500-1000m apart.
4-5pm hwy 89 near cookstown, stunning shelf rolls in over head, storm causes damage in cookstown (i didn't actually see it happen, but i saw the aftermath on the drive home)
5-6pm, caught in down burst by 5th side Rd. and 8th Line, max winds maybe 85km/h sustained for 5 or ten minutes.
5-6pm 5th line and 5th side Rd. trees downed likely from down burst.
5-6pm Schomberg, traffic lights out, extremely heavy rain leaves 2-3cm of water on the roads everywhere, black clouds to my south. incredible cloud to ground lightning.
6-7pm End chase of this cell at Rutherford Rd. decide to head home.
7-8pm drive through cookstown, survey the damage
8-9pm South end of Barrie heading north on hwy 27. New cells forming to my north. a brief chase yields a possible wall cloud near Midhurst. and another possible wall cloud to the east judging by radar, but visual confirmation was not very conclusive. the cloud changed frequently, but didn't seem to have the proper structure so probably scud cloud.
10pm home sweet home :)

I am very sore...

Also don't be silly like me and chase near gravenhurst. I thought it was a bad idea, but then i did it anyway against better judgement. despite being very exciting, it was not a comfortable or safe chase situation and i doubt i will be trying that direction again because visability is too low and the roads and lakes wind and entrap you.

Nagii
07-20-2013, 12:18 AM
between 9-11 we had a second few cells come through, loud thunder and intense lightning. Power struggled to stay on but managed. After an hour break, he comes round 3, loud thunder and lightning, lights flickering.

tice23
07-20-2013, 12:37 AM
took this at 12:45 from Midland. This is why i got greedy :whistling:

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3725/9323280485_9c006bf796_o.jpg

Reffik
07-20-2013, 12:38 AM
Planes are still taking off at Pearson into an active thunderstorm; more storms following.

obwan
07-20-2013, 12:52 AM
some pics of the evening chase. The first is a possible rain wrapped funnel in the storm darksky took the pics of at 6:30. The next two are of the second set of storms coming off lake ontario at charles daley park there was a wall cloud which moved just to the right and these formed in some violent up and down drafts behind it. I moved inland ahead of the rain and was able to catch this 4th shot with my cam as the rain core approached.

benjaminblizzard
07-20-2013, 01:09 AM
I honestly cannot believe that relatively strong storms are still juicing up after what already passed through. I guess Mother Nature has a lot in her system!

Edit: FINALLY got footage of lightning striking the CN tower. Still very frequent lightning strikes occurring.

Lightning Strikes CN Tower - July 20th, 2013 - YouTube

obwan
07-20-2013, 08:09 AM
Quite the rain out of that system, we picked up 110mm of rain between 6:30 pm and 4:00am.

All in all a fun night, only regret is I didn't have the video camera. My wife who usually doesn't come out, videod some with her phone and was impressed with what she saw. I lso have to give her credit for navigating with the electronics.

obwan
07-20-2013, 08:36 AM
great video benjimanblizzard I just had to add this image from your video as it happens so fast great capture.

Smokin Joe
07-20-2013, 09:07 AM

Didn't realize until going through my pics today but there was a wall cloud on the storm over the holland marsh that I caught from westbound on canal approaching the 400

Everyone keep the photos and vids coming!! I love it!

tice23
07-20-2013, 10:18 AM
Here's the summary of the action as recorded by EC, the event in Gravenhurst may be more significant than I thought...

AWCN11 CWTO 200947
Weather summary for all of Southern Ontario and the
National Capital Region issued by Environment Canada
At 5:46 AM EDT Saturday 20 July 2013.

-------------------------------------------------------------
==weather event discussion==

Several lines of severe thunderstorms crossed Southern Ontario
Friday ahead of a cold front. Severe thunderstorm and tornado
warnings were issued across the region. Numerous reports of downed
branches, snapped trees, power outages, significant hail, structural
damage, funnel clouds and damaging winds were received.

Environment Canada is assembling storm damage teams to investigate
some of these areas this weekend. Below is a preliminary list of
The most significant damage reports received as of 3 AM Saturday.

Time(lcl) location event description

10:50 AM callander power outages, houses damaged, trees
Down

11:20 AM Gravenhurst 2.5 cm hail

12:40 PM Petawawa and roof damage, trailers flipped,
Pembrooke power outages

12:55 PM Petawawa plaza front facet off, windows blown out,
Roof caved in

1:55 PM Gravenhurst large trees down, power lines down

2:30 PM Coldwater trees down and snapped, power outages

2:45 PM Gravenhurst cars overturned

2:50 PM Orillia trees down

2:55 PM lake dalrymple power lines and trees down

3:00 PM W of Ottawa roof damage, crop damage, trees down

3:00 PM's Gull Lake widespread tree damage

3:15 PM Barrie funnel cloud, trees down

3:20 PM se of tree damage
Bracebridge

3:20 PM Bobcaygeon branches down, trees uprooted

3:30 PM Kanata large hail

4:00 PM N of Arthur trees down

4:35 PM Barrie flashing damage, trees snapped,
Power outages

5:10 PM Ottawa branches down

5:10 PM Borden wind gust of 96 km/h

5:15 PM Napanee trees down, gas leaks, power outages

5:30 PM Innisfil funnel cloud, limbs down

5:30 PM Waterloo arpt wind gust of 119 km/h, trees down

5:35 PM sw of Bradford funnel cloud

5:45 PM Casselman 53 mm rain

5:50 PM W Kitchener trees and tree limbs down

5:50 PM Stratford trees down

5:55 PM Port Carling mature trees down, trees snapped
Port Severn

5:55 PM Gravenhurst large trees down, power lines down

6:00 PM Toronto Pearson wind gust of 104 km/h

6:10 PM Toronto trees down, power lines down

6:30 PM Hamilton trees down, limbs snapped

6:45 PM Stoney Creek trees down, trees snapped

7:05 PM Hamilton arpt wind gust of 104 km/h

7:10 PM St Catharines trees down

7:45 PM Grimsby trees down

7:45 PM Waterdown trees down

8:20 PM Chatham-Kent trees down, power outages

8:30 PM Ancaster large trees, power lines down

8:30 PM Hamilton trees down, limbs snapped

8:45 PM norwich wind gust of 90 km/h, trees down

9:00 PM mulmur barn damage, crop damage, roof
Damage, power outages

9:15 PM Chatham trees down, hydro lines down

9:10 PM Hamilton arpt wind gust of 106 km/h

10:00 PM Port Colborne wind gust of 98 km/h

10:20 PM St Catharines branches down

11:00 PM Port Colborne wind gust of 93 km/h

This weather summary contains preliminary information and may not
constitute an official or final report.

END/OSPC

tice23
07-20-2013, 11:34 AM
Here's some stills from the chase in the later part of the afternoon with time stamps

4:28pm
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3679/9325914587_d22f6c85a3_o.jpg

4:56pm
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2810/9325915475_6f861d6054_o.jpg

5:00pm
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5444/9325917493_3df444673a_o.jpg

5:06pm
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3817/9328712608_461b55910f_o.jpg

5:11pm
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7316/9325916419_ed33d81ffc_o.jpg

5:19pm
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5476/9325917145_b0c82c955d_o.jpg

5:36pm
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3694/9325919705_f09a8da3b8_o.jpg

6:24pm
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3688/9328715814_2ac1ddb187_o.jpg

benjaminblizzard
07-20-2013, 01:55 PM
Here's a few more photos of the monster that went over Toronto that I forgot to upload.

I also discovered that in my excitement (maybe also terror) I remembered to take a video of the storm rolling in. Toward the end you can hear people in the street below starting to scream (there was a family with small children in the pool).

July 19, 2013 Toronto Storm - the Main Event - YouTube

DarkSky
07-20-2013, 07:07 PM
Lots of videos coming ... and I haven't even started culling through the photos yet.. :

NOTE: MOST OF THESE VIDEOS ARE MUCH BETTER WHEN VIEWED FULL SCREEN AND IN HIGH DEFINITION (HD) !!

Part 1/2 - Time lapse: severe thunderstorms rolling in to St. Catharines across Lake Ontario

Part 1/2 - Time lapse: severe thunderstorms rolling in to St. Catharines across Lake Ontario - YouTube

part 2:

Part 2/2 - Time lapse: severe thunderstorms rolling in to St. Catharines across Lake Ontario - YouTube

DarkSky
07-20-2013, 07:08 PM
Time lapse: Jul.19/2013 - severe thunderstorm approaching St. Catharines :

Time lapse: Jul.19/2013 - severe thunderstorm approaching St. Catharines - YouTube

DarkSky
07-20-2013, 07:09 PM
Jul.19/2013 - base of front of lines of severe thunderstorms approaching St. Catharines :

Jul.19/2013 - base of front of lines of severe thunderstorms approaching St. Catharines - YouTube

Jul.19/2013 - Large tree branch snaps from tree during severe thunderstorm, St. Catharines, ON :

Jul.19/2013 - Large tree branch snaps from tree during severe thunderstorm, St. Catharines, ON - YouTube

DarkSky
07-20-2013, 07:10 PM
Jul.19/2013 - severe thunderstorms roll in to St. Catharines, Ontario :

Jul.19/2013 - severe thunderstorms roll in to St. Catharines, Ontario - YouTube

Jul.19/2013 - vortex whips across the water on Lake Ontario at St. Catharines :

Jul.19/2013 - vortex whips across the water on Lake Ontario at St. Catharines - YouTube

DarkSky
07-20-2013, 07:11 PM
Jul.19/2013 - Severe thunderstorm at sunset over Lake Ontario - St. Catharines, ON :

Jul.19/2013 - Severe thunderstorm at sunset over Lake Ontario - St. Catharines, ON - YouTube

Thunderbolt
07-20-2013, 07:17 PM
I emailed Environment Canada about the funnel cloud picture in Sturgeon Falls & the state of emergency in Callander and they made a weather summary for it.

AWCN12 CWTO 202258
Weather summary for Northern Ontario issued by
Environment Canada at 6:56 PM EDT Saturday 20 July 2013.

==weather event discussion==

Severe thunderstorms in the overnight hours of July 18/19 caused
damage to multiple areas in Northern Ontario, including sables-
Spanish rivers (3.5 km north of massey), Sioux Narrows and Dryden.

In the morning of July 19, another line of severe thunderstorms
Ahead of a cold front crossed Northeastern Ontario, resulting in a
funnel cloud sighting in sturgeon falls and Manitoulin Island, as
well as a state of emergency in callander (15 km southeast of North
Bay).

Time (local) location event description

July 18:

10:15 PM sables-Spanish trees down
Rivers

July 19:

12:30 AM Sioux Narrows trees down, power outages
12:45 AM Dryden trees down, power outages,
Roof off modular home, shed
Blown across laneway, wood
Thrown through a wall
9:45 AM Manitoulin Island funnel cloud photographed
10:30 AM sturgeon falls funnel cloud photographed
10:50 AM callander trees down and uprooted,
Homes damaged, power outages

This weather summary contains preliminary information and may not
constitute an official or final report.

END/OSPC

SlideShowBob
07-20-2013, 07:28 PM
Sorry if I screw this up...first time posting pics here...lol
these were taken aroun 8 p.m. last night in southwest Barrie
First two pics looking north, third one looking southwest, fourth looking west and last one looking southeast (from my backyard)

davefootball123
07-21-2013, 12:24 AM
Had an awesome storm chase with my chase partner yesterday. We set up in Southern Region of Waterloo during the early afternoon. Was hesitant to go north like all of the other chasers had. Turns out either decision would have been okay, but I'm very glad I made the decision to have the south option and be somewhat close to home (which turned out to be hit extremely hard). We saw the squall line organizing as it pushed off of Lake Huron so we decided to head north to the Region of Waterloo Airport, we then decided that we would drop back south into Southern Region of Waterloo/far Western City of Hamilton for the chance that the Southern end of the squall line would continue to strengthen. The initial bow passed over us just outside of Cambridge and produced winds of around 90km/h breaking many tree limbs. We then decided to head south toward Highway 52/Jerseyville Road area in the City of Hamilton for the organizing storms on the southern end of the bow. This turned out to be a great decision. The storm was actually tornado warned by Environment Canada and as it passed over us we experienced winds in excess of 110km/h that laid trees onto homes and flattened corn fields in the area. This storm produced a fair amount of damage west of Highway 52 between Jerseyville Road and Wilson Street in Ancaster. We then decided to go back to my house which is about 15 minutes from where we were located. We arrived there and noticed another well organized squall line continuing to strengthen just to our west and decided to head to a local park a couple of kilometres west of my house. This is where I experienced by far the strongest winds ever. This thunderstorm produced winds likely well in excess of 120km/h and caused extensive damage to my neighbourhood including my property. Tons of trees snapped/uprooted in the area with even more trees just shredded apart. Trees fell on power lines snapping the power poles so 1 block over the power has been out since yesterday at 8pm. Trees also fell on homes, garages, and cars through out the area. We cleared the trees in my yard today, but many roads are still blocked in the area and many people are still without power. The winds were so powerful that a carport two doors down from my home was sheared off the side of the house and smashed into the owners car and then pinned up against the next house. Fibreglass insulation was also found in my neighbours yard. Here is a video of the storm in my neighbourhood, I am working on video for the 3 other severe storms that we experienced on Friday, and am also working on editing all the damage photos so they can be uploaded to Flickr. The severe storm at 930pm produced 100km/h winds at my location and added to the damage from the earlier storm, CYHM recorded a gust of 106km/h with this storm. The storm was also at night so the lightning was incredible. The intensity, frequency, and close proximity of the CG strikes was insane to say the least. As OntarioWX posted, this was only comparable to August 24th 2011.
Timeline of severe storms:
530 PM: Southern RoW storm with 90km/h winds.
630 PM: Ancaster storm with winds over 110km/h
800 PM: Western Hamilton storm with winds well over 120km/h
930 PM: Western Hamilton storm with 100km/h winds and constant lightning

July 19th Extreme Downburst with Severe Thunderstorm Hamilton Ontario - YouTube

Be sure to watch the whole video.

DarkSky
07-21-2013, 09:52 AM
Jul.19/2013 - Intense lightning during severe thunderstorm, St. Catharines, ON :

Jul.19/2013 - Intense lightning during severe thunderstorm, St. Catharines, ON - YouTube

Jul.19/2013 - lightning crawls across the sky during severe thunderstorm, St. Catharines, ON - YouTube

Jul.19/2013 - Fire fighters arrive to investigate downed power line arcing in tree - YouTube

DarkSky
07-21-2013, 11:48 AM
If any image doesn't load properly and you just get a blank white screen, just hit F5 (Refresh/Reload)

http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5948&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1374421519 (http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5948&d=1374421519) http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5949&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1374421520 (http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5949&d=1374421520) http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5950&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1374421521 (http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5950&d=1374421521)

Morning sunrise on way in to work:
http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5951&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1374421521 (http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5951&d=1374421521)

http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5952&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1374421522 (http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5952&d=1374421522) http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5953&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1374421522 (http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5953&d=1374421522) http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5954&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1374421523 (http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5954&d=1374421523) http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5955&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1374421523 (http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5955&d=1374421523) http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5956&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1374421524 (http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5956&d=1374421524) http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5957&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1374421525 (http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5957&d=1374421525) http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5958&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1374421525 (http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5958&d=1374421525) http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5959&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1374421526 (http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5959&d=1374421526) http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5960&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1374421527 (http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5960&d=1374421527) http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5961&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1374421528 (http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5961&d=1374421528) http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5962&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1374421528 (http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5962&d=1374421528) http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5963&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1374421529 (http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5963&d=1374421529) http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5964&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1374421530 (http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5964&d=1374421530) http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5965&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1374421530 (http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5965&d=1374421530) http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5966&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1374421531 (http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5966&d=1374421531) http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5967&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1374421532 (http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5967&d=1374421532) http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5968&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1374421533 (http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5968&d=1374421533) http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5969&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1374421534 (http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5969&d=1374421534) http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5970&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1374421535 (http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5970&d=1374421535) http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5971&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1374421535 (http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5971&d=1374421535) http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5972&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1374421536 (http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5972&d=1374421536) http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5973&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1374421537 (http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5973&d=1374421537) http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5974&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1374421537 (http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5974&d=1374421537) http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5975&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1374421538 (http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5975&d=1374421538) http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5976&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1374421539 (http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5976&d=1374421539) http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5977&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1374421540 (http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5977&d=1374421540) http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5978&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1374421540 (http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5978&d=1374421540) http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5979&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1374421541 (http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5979&d=1374421541) http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5980&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1374421542 (http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5980&d=1374421542) http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5981&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1374421543 (http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5981&d=1374421543) http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5982&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1374421544 (http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5982&d=1374421544) http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5983&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1374421544 (http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5983&d=1374421544) http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5984&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1374421545 (http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5984&d=1374421545) http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5985&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1374421546 (http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5985&d=1374421546) http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5986&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1374421546 (http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5986&d=1374421546) http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5987&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1374421547 (http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5987&d=1374421547) http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5988&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1374421548 (http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5988&d=1374421548) http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5989&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1374421549 (http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5989&d=1374421549) http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5990&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1374421549 (http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5990&d=1374421549) http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5991&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1374421550 (http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5991&d=1374421550) http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5992&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1374421550 (http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5992&d=1374421550) http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5993&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1374421551 (http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5993&d=1374421551) http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5994&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1374421552 (http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5994&d=1374421552) http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5995&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1374421553 (http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5995&d=1374421553) http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5996&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1374421554 (http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5996&d=1374421554) http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5997&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1374421556 (http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5997&d=1374421556) http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5998&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1374421557 (http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5998&d=1374421557) http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5999&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1374421559 (http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5999&d=1374421559) http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6000&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1374421560 (http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6000&d=1374421560) http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6001&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1374421562 (http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6001&d=1374421562) http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6002&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1374421564 (http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6002&d=1374421564) http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6003&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1374421565 (http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6003&d=1374421565) http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6004&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1374421567 (http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6004&d=1374421567) http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6005&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1374421568 (http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6005&d=1374421568) http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6006&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1374421570 (http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6006&d=1374421570) http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6007&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1374421571 (http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6007&d=1374421571) http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6008&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1374421572 (http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6008&d=1374421572) http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6009&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1374421574 (http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6009&d=1374421574) http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6010&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1374421575 (http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6010&d=1374421575) http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6011&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1374421576 (http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6011&d=1374421576) http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6012&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1374421578 (http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6012&d=1374421578) http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6013&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1374421579 (http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6013&d=1374421579) http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6014&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1374421581 (http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6014&d=1374421581) http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6015&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1374421582 (http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6015&d=1374421582) http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6016&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1374421583 (http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6016&d=1374421583) http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6017&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1374421585 (http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6017&d=1374421585) http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6018&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1374421586 (http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6018&d=1374421586) http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6019&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1374421588 (http://www.ontariostorms.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6019&d=1374421588)

DarkSky
07-21-2013, 03:33 PM
There were a few anvil crawlers but the only one I managed to get was only part of the bolts, and on video. Here's some screen captures.

davefootball123
07-21-2013, 08:29 PM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/63669372@<hidden>/sets/72157634741875288/
Photos of the damage in my neigbourhood. All photos were taken within 2km of my house, most within 1km or 500m and quite a few on my street. First one was my house actually.

DarkSky
07-21-2013, 09:26 PM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/63669372@<hidden>/sets/72157634741875288/
Photos of the damage in my neigbourhood. All photos were taken within 2km of my house, most within 1km or 500m and quite a few on my street. First one was my house actually.

What town/city?

davefootball123
07-21-2013, 10:56 PM
What town/city?

Ah c'mon man! Can't remember? ;) West Hamilton Mountain is where I live and where the pics/video were taken.

DarkSky
07-22-2013, 05:19 AM
Hopefully this is the last/final weather summary EC issues. I've been getting them throughout the day, every day, since the storm finished:

AWCN11 CWTO 220830
WEATHER SUMMARY FOR ALL OF SOUTHERN ONTARIO AND THE
NATIONAL CAPITAL REGION ISSUED BY ENVIRONMENT CANADA
AT 4:30 AM EDT MONDAY 22 JULY 2013.

==WEATHER EVENT DISCUSSION==

A HOT AND HUMID AIR MASS AHEAD OF A COLD FRONT PROVIDED THE PERFECT
COMBINATION TO SET OFF SEVERE THUNDERSTORM ACTIVITY ACROSS CENTRAL
AND SOUTHERN ONTARIO FRIDAY. THE SEVERE WEATHER BECAME EXTENSIVE
DURING THE AFTERNOON AND EVENING HOURS RESULTING IN THE BIGGEST
SEVERE WEATHER OUTBREAK OF THE SEASON. AN EXCEPTIONALLY LARGE AREA
WAS AFFECTED, FROM WINDSOR TO OTTAWA AND FROM LAKE ERIE TO NORTH BAY.

FRIDAY MORNING, THUNDERSTORMS GAVE SEVERE WIND DAMAGE TO CALLANDER
(NEAR NORTH BAY) RESULTING IN THE DECLARATION OF A STATE OF
EMERGENCY FOR THE TOWN.

SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS CONTINUED TO DEVELOP EASTWARD AND SOUTHWARD. IN
THE EARLY AFTERNOON, STORMS PRODUCED A SWATH OF DAMAGE FROM
PEMBROOKE TO PETAWAWA WHERE CARS WERE FLIPPED OVER, ROOFS BLOWN
DOWN, TREES UPROOTED, STREET LIGHTS SNAPPED, AND TRAILERS
OVERTURNED. BY LATE AFTERNOON, WIND DAMAGE WAS REPORTED IN DOZENS
OF COMMUNITIES IN A BROAD SWATH FROM LAKE HURON AND GEORGIAN BAY
THROUGH TO EASTERN ONTARIO.

THE SEVERE STORMS DEVELOPED SOUTHWARD DURING THE EVENING HOURS,
CAUSING WIND DAMAGE IN THE GOLDEN HORSESHOE AND IN SOUTHWESTERN
ONTARIO. FLOODING AND DOWNED TREES WERE REPORTED IN NIAGARA
FALLS WITH RAINFALL ESTIMATED AT 75 TO 100 MM. 150 MM WAS REPORTED
TO HAVE FALLEN AT RONDEAU BAY.

2 MINOR INJURIES WERE REPORTED IN CHATHAM LATE FRIDAY EVENING WHEN A
TREE FELL ON A CAR WITH THE PEOPLE IN IT.

HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF RESIDENTS WERE LEFT WITHOUT POWER FOLLOWING
THE STORMS. AS OF SUNDAY MORNING, APPROXIMATELY 50,000 HOMES
REMAINED WITHOUT POWER.

ENVIRONMENT CANADA STORM DAMAGE TEAMS HAVE INVESTIGATED DAMAGE IN
BARRIE, ORILLIA, GRAVENHURST, HAMILTON, PETAWAWA, CALLANDER AND
DUFFERIN COUNTY. THE MOST SEVERE DAMAGE WAS FOUND NEAR
HONEYWOOD, IN DUFFERN COUNTY, WHERE ESTIMATED WINDS OF 150 KM/HR
DESTROYED A CATTLE BARN AND THREW THE ROOF 300 METRES. THIS DAMAGE
RATES EF1 ON THE ENHANCED FUJITA SCALE. EVIDENCE THUS FAR
INDICATES THAT THE STORM DAMAGE IN ONTARIO HAS BEEN DONE BY STRAIGHT
LINE DOWNBURST WINDS.

BELOW IS A LIST OF THE MOST SIGNIFICANT DAMAGE REPORTS THAT
ENVIRONMENT CANADA HAS RECEIVED AS OF 7:00 PM SUNDAY.

TIME(LCL) LOCATION EVENT DESCRIPTION

10:50 AM CALANDER TREES DOWN AND UPROOTED, HOMES
DAMAGED, POWER OUTAGES

11:20 AM GRAVENHURST 2.5 CM HAIL

12:40 PM PETAWAWA AND ROOF DAMAGE, TRAILERS FLIPPED,
PEMBROOKE POWER OUTAGES

12:55 PM PETAWAWA PLAZA FRONT FACET OFF, WINDOWS BLOWN OUT,
ROOF CAVED IN

1:55 PM GRAVENHURST LARGE TREES DOWN, POWER LINES DOWN

2:30 PM COLDWATER TREES DOWN AND SNAPPED, POWER OUTAGES

2:45 PM GRAVENHURST CARS OVERTURNED

2:50 PM ORILLIA TREES DOWN, POWER LINES DOWN, STREET
LIGHTS SNAPPED

2:55 PM LAKE DALRYMPLE POWER LINES AND TREES DOWN

3:00 PM W OF OTTAWA ROOF DAMAGE, CROP DAMAGE, TREES DOWN

3:00 PM S OF GULL LAKE 150 TREES DOWN ON SOUTH MORRIS ISLAND

3:15 PM BARRIE FUNNEL CLOUD, TREES DOWN - CAUSED
DAMAGE TO HOMES

3:20 PM SE OF TREE DAMAGE
BRACEBRIDGE

3:20 PM BOBCAYGEON TREES UPROOTED

3:30 PM KANATA LARGE HAIL

4:00 PM N OF ARTHUR TREES DOWN

4:35 PM BARRIE BUILDING DAMAGE, TREES SNAPPED,
POWER OUTAGES

5:10 PM OTTAWA BRANCHES DOWN

5:10 PM BORDEN WIND GUST OF 96 KM/H

5:10 PM MULMAR BARN ROOF THROWN 300 METRES, BARN
DESTOYED NEAR HONEYWOOD, EF1 DAMAGE,
WINDS ESTIMATED AT 150 KM/HR.

5:15 PM NAPANEE TREES DOWN, GAS LEAKS, POWER OUTAGES

5:30 PM INNISFIL FUNNEL CLOUD, LIMBS DOWN

5:30 PM WATERLOO ARPT WIND GUST OF 119 KM/H, TREES DOWN

5:35 PM SW OF BRADFORD FUNNEL CLOUD

5:40 PM GUELPH DOZENS OF TREES SNAPPED OR UPROOTED,
HUNDREDS OF BRANCHES DOWN, DAMAGE TO
HOMES FROM FALLEN TREES OR LIMBS

5:45 PM CASSELMAN 53 MM RAIN

5:50 PM KITCHENER TREES DOWN - CAUSED DAMAGE TO HOMES,
-WATERLOO POWER OUTAGES, DAMAGE TO BUS SHELTER

5:50 PM STRATFORD TREES DOWN

5:55 PM PORT CARLING MATURE TREES DOWN, TREES SNAPPED
PORT SEVERN

5:55 PM GRAVENHURST LARGE TREES DOWN, POWER LINES DOWN

6:00 PM TORONTO PEARSON WIND GUST OF 104 KM/H

6:00 PM PARIS TREE DAMAGE, WOODEN BALCONY TORN OFF
HOUSE, CINDERBLOCK WAREHOUSE COLLAPSE

6:10 PM TORONTO TREES DOWN, INCLUDING A
HISTORIC CENTURY OLD TREE, POWER
LINES DOWN

6:30 PM HAMILTON TREES DOWN

6:45 PM STONEY CREEK TREES DOWN, TREES SNAPPED

7:05 PM HAMILTON ARPT WIND GUST OF 104 KM/H

7:10 PM ST CATHARINES TREES DOWN, 75-85 MM OF RAIN,
FLOODING

7:3O PM CHATHAM TREES DOWN, POWER LINES DOWN,

7:45 PM GRIMSBY TREES DOWN, POWER OUTAGES, 65 MM OF
RAIN

7:45 PM WATERDOWN TREES DOWN

8:20 PM CHATHAM-KENT TREES DOWN, POWER OUTAGES

8:30 PM ANCASTER TREES AND POWER LINES DOWN, SMALL
HAIL

8:45 PM NORWICH WIND GUST OF 90 KM/H, TREES DOWN

9:00 PM MULMUR BARN DAMAGE, CROP DAMAGE, ROOF
DAMAGE, POWER OUTAGES

9:10 PM HAMILTON ARPT WIND GUST OF 106 KM/H

9:20 PM MOUNT HOPE TREES DOWN, TRAMPOLINE BLOWN ONTO
ROOF, CROP DAMAGE

10:00 PM PORT COLBORNE WIND GUST OF 98 KM/H

11:00 PM PORT COLBORNE WIND GUST OF 93 KM/H, POWER OUTAGES

02:00 AM (SAT) WATERLOO ARPT WIND GUST OF 91 KM/H

REPORTS WITH EXACT TIME UNKNOWN:

ST GEORGE TREES AND HYDRO LINES DOWN
ESSEX COUNTY TREES DOWN
SIMCOE COUNTY TREES DOWN
RONDEAU BAY 150 MM RAIN
CHATHAM MINOR INJURIES TO TWO PASSENGERS OF
A CAR
WIARTON LARGE TREE UPROOTED
BLENHEIM TREES DOWN, FLOODED BASEMENTS, POWER
OUTAGES
NIAGARA FALLS 75-100 MM RAIN, FLASH FLOODING
BEAMSVILLE/ 75-85 MM RAIN, FLASH FLOODING
VINELAND

THIS WEATHER SUMMARY CONTAINS PRELIMINARY INFORMATION AND MAY NOT
CONSTITUTE AN OFFICIAL OR FINAL REPORT.

END/OSPC

DarkSky
07-29-2013, 08:39 PM
Video posted by Storm Chaser in another thread:

July 19th Southern Ontario Destructive Thunderstorms - YouTube

tice23
08-06-2013, 11:12 AM
I'm guessing EC hasn't confirmed any tornadic events for this storm...It's a bit of a surprise to me considering the number of reports of funnel sightings, tornado warnings issued and the damage witnessed in certain areas. I know the majority was certainly done by straight line winds but c'mon now, all of it?

I know from the damage i saw in gravenhurst it was more than enough to convince me, and it's not my first time seeing that kind of thing. Maybe they're just backlogged?

skunkyjoe
09-02-2013, 10:43 AM
http://imageshack.us/g/1/10301700/

http://imageshack.us/g/1/10301703/